The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams allow students who feel they already have sufficient knowledge in a given subject to accelerate their learning by taking an examination in a particular subject. If the student receives a passing grade (as defined by their college institution) on the test, the course will then be defined as "equivalent."
Students may obtain up to 60 credits (Baccalaureate) or 30 credits (Associate) toward their degree from credits earned from the Advanced Placement or CLEP.
College credit may be granted to entering students who perform satisfactorily on the CLEP. The following regulations apply to students who earn credit and/or advanced standing:
- Credit will be granted on CLEP examinations on the basis of the York College CLEP Equivalency report. No more than six (6) credits shall be granted for any one of the tests. To obtain credit the student must score above 50 in each test and meet any other requirements specified on the Equivalency report or by the College.
- CLEP examinations may not be scheduled within the final 30-credit residency period.
- The department chair and Dean of Academic Affairs will determine what is a satisfactory score on performance tests used by the College other than the College Board Advanced Placement Examinations, College Level Examination Program, and the American College Testing/PEP examinations.
How to Register:
After you have completed your registration online through the CLEP My Account Registration Portal, complete the CLEP Registration Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office at least two weeks prior to the test date:
York College of Pennsylvania
York, PA 17403-3651
For information and a registration booklet, you may e-mail Lori Prowell at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact:
CLEP Information at 717.815.6667
Registrar's Office at 717.815.1273
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Fall and Spring)
Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (Summer)
Test Dates & Times:
CLEP tests are scheduled at York College according to the dates listed below:
- Wednesday, September 25, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 28, 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 2, 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 5, 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 16, 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 22. 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday, November 2, 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 6, 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 20, 6:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 25, 6:30 p.m.
Fees & Other Costs for CLEP Exams:
The fee for each CLEP exam is $89. You may register for a maximum of two exams per test date. All CLEP exam payments must be made by test-takers online through the CLEP My Account Registration Portal.
*York College also requires a separate nonrefundable Service Fee of $20 per test date (check or money order only, made payable to York College of Pennsylvania.
Location of Exams:
CLEP exams are given on the York College campus, in the Humanities Building Room 015.
In Case the College is Closed due to Inclement Weather:
If the College is closed and classes are canceled due to inclement weather on the day of the scheduled CLEP testing, the testing will be canceled for that date. Closings and cancellations are announced on local radio stations and the College homepage.
Other Helpful Information:
Once your registration has been processed you will receive an email confirming the date and time of your CLEP exam.
You must bring your CLEP Exam Registration Ticket with you on exam day. Your registration ticket is given to you once you successfully complete your exam registration online through the CLEP website. Please print this information and have it with you on your exam day. Extended time for tests must be scheduled on a Saturday or Sunday.
*NOTE: Beginning with the Fall 2015 semester, York College will no longer accept Foreign Language CLEP credits for use in York College curriculums. We will still offer the exams for students from other colleges, but York College students will not be allowed to apply those credits toward their degrees.
ATTENTION York College Students: York College policy requires the final 30 credits toward a student's degree must be taken in residence. Please be sure you are in compliance with this requirement before registering for a CLEP examination.