The armed intruder/lock down alert will be implemented in a situation where there is an individual on the campus that is known or believed to be armed and who poses a danger to the campus community. The alert will be activated regardless of whether or not the armed intruder is actively firing a weapon. In this case, a campus lock down will be communicated through the Emergency Alert System.
The intent of the lock down is to limit access and hazards by controlling and managing staff and students in order to increase safety and reduce possible victimization. In a lock down, buildings will have restricted access until the 'All Clear' is given, or until individuals are directed to evacuate by law enforcement, Campus Safety or other emergency personnel.
Lock Down Basics
- Remain calm
- If safe, check halls and clear them of students and staff
- Lock all doors and/or barricade with furniture if necessary
- Lock windows and close blinds
- Turn the lights off and remain quiet
- Turn off radios, computer monitors and silence cell phones is necessary. After securing the room, everyone should be positioned out of sight and behind items that might offer additional protection - walls, desks, file cabinets, etc. Do not unlock doors or allow anyone in or out until ordered to do so by proper authorities or until the 'All Clear' message is sent.
- If you find yourself in an open area
- Immediately seek protection
- Put something between you and the shooter
- Is escape your best option? Do you know where the shooter is? Is escape immediately available?
- If in doubt find a safe area and secure it the best way you can
If you are not on campus when you receive the alert message, do not come to the College until the 'All Clear' message is sent.
No college or university can be completely locked down.