Mechanical Engineering Program Outcomes and Objectives
Mechanical Engineering Student Outcomes
The York College Mechanical Engineering program is structured to give students the knowledge, skills and experience needed to be successful as an entry level engineer upon graduation. To accomplish this, students will have achieved the following key student outcomes by the time they graduate:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Mechanical Engineering Program Educational Objectives
The mechanical engineering program at York College is designed to prepare its graduates for productive careers and/or graduate study. Within a few years following graduation, our alumni will have:
- Made significant contributions to their employer and/or graduate program through (for example), successful completion of engineering assignments, career advancement and/or promotion, or publications and presentations
- Consistently demonstrated professional and ethical behavior in the workplace
- Continued their education by acquiring new, specialized skills through life-long learning opportunities such as additional training, continuing education, professional licensure, graduate studies, and/or self-study
- Displayed effective communication to various stakeholders and teamwork skills in diverse groups while executing their assigned responsibilities