Graphic Design Careers
Graphic Design majors pursue a wide range of careers, in a number of different industries. Potential job titles include, but are not limited to:
- Publication Designer
- Web Designer
- Creative Director
- UX/UI Designer
- Motion Graphics Designer
- Letterpress Artist
- Package Designer
- Freelance Graphic Designer
Graphic Designer Salary
As with any field, salaries for those working in design vary depending on industry, location, level of experience, and area of specialization.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports a median annual salary of $50,710 for graphic designers, with the highest 10% of earners making over $98,000. Professionals who specialize in web and digital interface design report an average salary of more than $95,000 per year.
Those who advance into management positions have even greater earning potential, with art directors earning median annual salaries over $100,000.
Benefits of Graphic Design at York College
Majoring in Graphic Design opens up career possibilities that can be tailored to your unique interests and desired lifestyle. Design is a flexible field, with remote work options, in-office employment, and a marketplace for independent entrepreneurship. York College’s Graphic Design program prepares you to build a design career in any professional environment. You’ll have the following advantages:
- Project-Based Assignments: All of your assignments will be based on projects applicable to the real world, so you’ll quickly become familiar with the design process from the initial brief to final presentation.
- Minors: If you’re interested in expanding your education even further with a declared minor, you will have room in your schedule to do so.
- Equipment: In addition to the professional-standard computer labs and studios you may expect, York College is also home to the region’s finest, most comprehensive functional letterpress studio. You can learn hands-on with historic presses and type, just like Gutenberg!
- Access: Students have 24/7 access to campus labs and studios, even during breaks.
As you engage in class projects and gain experience for your future career, York College’s Graphic Design faculty are committed to providing you with individualized feedback and mentoring. Your professors want to see you succeed—and they’ll make an effort to help you along the way.
YCP’s Career Development Center also provides a wealth of resources to help you grow as a professional, from mock interviews to resume review. They’ll also assist with your internship search and application preparation.