Careers in Biochemistry
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 5% growth in employment of Biochemists as demand for biomedical needs, biofuels, and plant biotechnology increases. A Biochemistry degree from YCP prepares you for careers in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, agriculture, petroleum, chemicals, food processing, biotechnology, and more.
Possible careers include:
- Biological Scientist
- Clinical Lab Scientist
- Science Journalist
- Science Writer
- Technical Salesperson
- Federal Regulator
Many students also opt to pursue advanced degrees in medicine, dentistry, optometry, veterinary science, or enroll in law school.
Biochemistry Degree Salary Information
A Biochemistry degree from York College gives you a competitive advantage in an in-demand field. Keep in mind, your earning potential within this field will vary depending on your specific responsibilities and many other factors like location, years of experience, unique skills, and postgraduate education or certifications.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Agricultural and Food Scientists earn an average of $68,830, while Chemists and Materials Scientists earn $80,680 annually. The median salary for Biochemists with a professional degree is $94,270.
Benefits of a Biochemistry Degree
A Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry will prepare you to enter the workforce in many diverse fields, or transition to graduate or professional studies.
Some of the benefits of earning a Biochemistry degree at YCP include:
- The ability to tailor coursework to align with your unique interests and career aspirations
- Development of skills that reflect the most recent advances within the biochemistry discipline
- Internship, mentorship, and research opportunities
- Hands-on laboratory experiences in York College’s state-of-the-art facilities
- Support and guidance from respected faculty who are trained in the fields of chemistry, biological sciences, and biochemistry.