York College of Pennsylvania has a strong tradition of promoting service and leadership, as expressed in the College motto, servire est vivere (to serve is to live). IMPACT York seeks to support and extend the positive impact our students have on the local community and to enhance their college education through a focused program of learning through servant leadership and social entrepreneurship.
Why IMPACT York:
The IMPACT York program will extend to residential students from York County the opportunity for community-based and project-based learning, two marks of distinction of a York College education. Through a guided set of experiences, students will learn to address the needs of a community (including both the campus and the wider York community) through leadership training, development of innovation skills, and application of their area of study to addressing real needs. It will provide to participating students, from day one, the opportunity to have a significant impact upon the community in which they live not only as students but as citizens.
Why should I participate?
As an IMPACT York student, you will…
- Receive an award of $4,000 ($1,000 grant for each year of participation);
- Work with peers and College faculty/administrators in planning and executing four large-scale projects (one per year) that impact the York community;
- Engage in educational opportunities to learn new skills of leadership and teamwork that will be valuable in any future profession;
- Experience unique hands-on learning opportunities, including local service projects, events planning, and collaborations with community leaders/employers; • have opportunities to work with campus and community leaders, expanding their network in ways that will enhance career prospects after graduation;
- Work closely with York alumni who have a vested interest in their success;
- Take full advantage of York College’s exceptional environment of small class sizes, close faculty/student interactions, study abroad opportunities, undergraduate research, and caring and knowledgeable mentors.
Who is eligible?
To qualify, you must be a 2020 graduate from a York County public or private high school, or be home-schooled with a resident York County address, and attend York College in fall 2020 as a residential first-time student on campus.
To continue to receive the IMPACT York award all four years, you must maintain a minimum 2.5 GPA at York College and participate actively in the program.
How can I participate in IMPACT York?
To participate, apply for admission to York College by May 1, 2020, and upon admittance to the College, you can confirm your participation here.
Contact Dr. Dominic DelliCarpini
Dean of the Center for Community Engagement
Director of Service Initiatives