Civil Engineering Program Outcomes and Objectives
Civil Engineering Student Outcomes
The York College Civil Engineering program is structured to give students the knowledge, skills and experience needed to be successful as an entry level engineer upon graduation. To accomplish this, students will have achieved the following key student outcomes by the time they graduate:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives
The civil engineering program at York College is designed to prepare its graduates for productive careers and/or graduate study. Within a few years following graduation, our alumni will have:
- Made significant contributions to their employer and/or graduate program through (for example) successful completion of engineering assignments, advanced degrees, publications and/or professional licensure.
- Consistently demonstrated ethical and professional behavior in the workplace.
- Continued their education by acquiring new, specialized skills through life-long learning opportunities, graduate studies, and/or self-study.
- Displayed effective communication and teamwork skills while executing their assigned responsibilities.