Students may apply to live off-campus, with the authorization of the Office of Residence Life, in a dwelling unit which is not the domicile of a parent/guardian if:
- they pay their housing deposit and complete their housing application for the upcoming academic year,
- they fill out and complete an off-campus application (applications will be reviewed by credits earned, with priority given to those who have earned the most),
- they are in good academic standing (eligible to be full-time without restriction or probation),
- they are in good discipline standing – student conduct records will be reviewed,
- the dwelling unit they plan to live in must be licensed by the City of York or relevant municipality,
- they complete an online educational course regarding off-campus housing policies and expectations,
- they confirm in writing their understanding that York College of Pennsylvania does not warrant the suitability or safety of the off-campus dwelling unit they plan to occupy and that the student is responsible to ascertain that the unit is suitable, safe, and in compliance with applicable law.
Not all students that apply will receive permission to live off-campus. We discourage students from signing leases until they have been granted permission from the Office Residence Life to reside off-campus. Please see the Off-Campus Application Process section in the Student Handbook for full procedures.
Students who are approved to live off-campus or commute will have their scholarships and financial aid affected; students must consult with the Office of Financial Aid and acknowledge this change as part of their approval to live off-campus or commute.
Who is eligible to apply for off-campus status?
Students who earn at least 85 credits by the end of Fall 2023 may apply to live off-campus for the 2024-2025 academic year. Students interested in applying for off-campus housing approval must complete all of the following:
- Pay their housing deposit and complete the housing application for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Complete the off-campus application, available Feb. 1 - Feb. 16.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Be in good student conduct standing, and have no overdue sanctions.
- Complete an online educational program regarding off-campus living and expectations.
When can I sign a lease?
We strongly discourage students from signing leases off campus until they receive approval for release from campus housing. Students who sign a lease and do not receive approval will not be released from the College Residence Requirement.
How likely is it that I will be released from the College Residence Requirement?
Usually, there are more students who apply and are eligible than will be released. Being released is not guaranteed. As the number of new and current residents changes every year, our office cannot make this determination ahead of time.
Can I still apply if I do not have enough earned credits to be considered a senior?
No. The application will only be available to students who have successfully earned the specified number of credits by the end of the Fall semester. You will continue through the on-campus room selection/lottery process.
What happens if I miss the application deadline?
Applications may not be submitted after the deadline and will not be accepted as students are expected to meet all published deadlines. Information regarding the process and all deadlines are emailed to all current on-campus students, posted on residence hall bulletin boards, and are shared during the housing information sessions.