What's an RA, Anyway?
York College Resident Assistants Support the College Community While Preparing for their Futures
If you’ve ever lived on campus, you’re probably familiar with the role of the resident assistant, or RA. Every year, these student-leaders welcome their fellow Spartans into our residence halls and help to maintain a positive community where everyone can live and learn together. For current RA Charlie Green, it’s about creating connections. “Through this position, I have had the chance to meet a multitude of people...to learn from and forge bonds.”
RA Maddy Marquez has had a similar experience: “I have acquired skills to adapt to various situations, as well as developed relationships with fellow students and staff alike,” she says.
Becoming Young Professionals
And while they’re supporting York College students, RAs are also building skills that will last a lifetime—organization, time management, professionalism, leadership, and community engagement, just to name a few. "Being an RA has given me the chance to grow professionally and expand my leadership capabilities,” says resident assistant Connor Becker. “The role has challenged me to handle different and complex situations, but has always proven to be well worth it. The lessons learned and the people met are priceless."
Joining the Team
Every winter, the Office of Residence Life, under the Division of Student Affairs, hosts a hiring process to select RAs for the upcoming academic year. Typically, over 100 students will participate. This year, the deadline to submit an application is Sunday, December 13, 2020.
- 12 credits earned at YCP
- 2.25 Semester and Cumulative GPA
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student
- No active Student Conduct sanctions
- Commuter or Residential Student
- Bulletin Board Design
- Health & Safety Inspections
- Weekly Staff Meetings
- Openings & Closing Assistance
On-Call Duty Rotation & Policy Enforcement
- Rotation weekday and weekend duty rotation
- General understanding of the Student Code of Conduct
- 1st Year - $2,000 per year ($1,000 per semester)
- Paid out biweekly
- Increases annually
- Covers the amount of a traditional double room
Free Parking Pass
- Assigned based on where each RA is placed
Interested in applying?
Follow this simple three-step process:
Step 1 - Spartan Career Path Application
- You will need to create an account on Spartan Career Path, and then search for Resident Assistant in the job postings
- Resume and Cover Letter not required
Step 2 - Office of Residence Life Application
- Designed by the Office of Residence Life to specifically ask questions that will allow the hiring committee to understand each candidate better before the interview.
Step 3 - Professional Reference Form
- Someone who has supervised you in a professional setting
- YCP Administrator, Staff, Faculty or current RA
- No other YCP Student or Office of Residence Life staff can act as a reference.
Once all of your application materials are submitted, you will receive information about the interview process shortly after. Interviews will take place over Zoom in January 2021.