What's an RA, Anyway?
York College Resident Assistants Support the College Community While Preparing for their Futures
If you’ve ever lived on campus, you’re probably familiar with the role of the resident assistant, or RA. Every year, these student-leaders welcome their fellow Spartans into our residence halls and help to maintain a positive community where everyone can live and learn together. For current RA Charlie Green, it’s about creating connections. “Through this position, I have had the chance to meet a multitude of people...to learn from and forge bonds.” RA Maddy Marquez has had a similar experience: “I have acquired skills to adapt to various situations, as well as developed relationships with fellow students and staff alike,” she says.
Becoming Young Professionals
And while they’re supporting York College students, RAs are also building skills that will last a lifetime—organization, time management, professionalism, leadership, and community engagement, just to name a few. "Being an RA has given me the chance to grow professionally and expand my leadership capabilities,” says resident assistant Connor Becker. “The role has challenged me to handle different and complex situations, but has always proven to be well worth it. The lessons learned and the people met are priceless."
Joining the Team
Every winter, the Office of Residence Life, under the Division of Student Development and Campus Life, hosts a hiring process to select RAs for the upcoming academic year.
- 12 credits earned at YCP
- 2.25 Semester and Cumulative GPA
- Enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student
- No active Student Conduct sanctions
- Commuter or Residential Student
- Bulletin Board Design
- Health & Safety Inspections
- Weekly Staff Meetings
- Openings & Closing Assistance
On-Call Duty Rotation & Policy Enforcement
- Weekday and weekend duty rotation
- General understanding of the Student Code of Conduct
- 1st Year - $2,000 per year ($1,000 per semester)
- Paychecks will be distributed following the Student Employment Payroll Calendar
- Increases annually
- RAs receive a full room credit
Free Parking Pass
- Assigned based on RA placement
Interested in applying?
Please complete the following:
1. Complete the Office of Residence Life Application
2. Professional Reference Form
a. Please send this link to your professional reference to complete.
Once your application materials are submitted, please continue to check your YCP email for information about the interview process. We anticipate sending this information out at the end of the Fall semester or the beginning of the Spring semester.