Two students walking outside on a sunny day in front of a red brick building


International Students

A Global Community, Centered on Learning

At York, we value the unique perspectives and passions of every student, no matter where your journey starts. Our commitment to a high-quality education and support services tailored to the needs of every student includes orientation programs and resources for making a smooth transition. We’re here to support your growth and success in and out of the classroom — and most of all, we’re happy you’re here.

Why York?

By attending York, you are joining a community that values your potential, encourages your aspirations, and empowers you to achieve your goals.


York College of Pennsylvania is a fully accredited institution, offering more than 70 academic programs.


We will turn your passions into purpose — focus on a hands-on education, with opportunities for internships and paid co-ops.

Cost and Financial Aid

Affordable tuition and campus housing fees, scholarship opportunities, and accessible financial planning allow York to offer a valuable and enriching student experience without the burden of unreasonable cost.

Student Life

At York, you’ll build a community that extends beyond academics. There are endless opportunities to get involved, meet new people, and create a seamless transition to life as a university student in the U.S.

“Education is really good in Georgia, but there are opportunities for internships and co-ops here. Here, professors know us by name. It’s not like you go to a big auditorium where nobody cares who you are.”
Baia Grdzelishvili ‘27
B.S. in Electrical Engineering

Applying to York College

Applying is easy, and we are here to help you every step of the way.

Your application is the first step toward admission. Get started today.

You'll begin by creating an account and completing our application form.

Once you've submitted your application form, please be sure to provide all required documents to complete your application in full.

While York offers an affordable option for obtaining a bachelor's degree abroad, we do not offer full scholarships. International students are asked to submit their financial plan for application consideration. Without adequate funding a United States Embassy or Consulate will not approve travel to the U.S. Please complete our Financial Certification Form and submit it along with your transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and essay. 

Apply Now

Don't forget to include your documentation!

York College is Test Optional

Supporting documents for your application are very important. We cannot issue you an admission decision unless we have all of the proper documentation. Therefore, in addition to your completed application, we’re asking that you submit the following items:

  • Official copy of your secondary school report with grades or mark sheets, translated into English if needed. They should show 3 years of results. Please include which subjects you are taking in your last year of secondary school. Transcripts should be sent directly from your secondary school or examination board to York by emailing, faxing +17178491673, or Application platform such as the Common Application. Images of transcripts or mark sheets taken by mobile phone are not acceptable.
  • Proof of English proficiency — English language proficiency is required for all students whose native language is not English. Proof of English proficiency is required for both admission and the issuance of visa documents.
  • At least one letter of recommendation (two if no SAT)
    • If you are applying for a STEM program it is recommended you submit a letter of recommendation from a math teacher stating your potential for subjects such as trigonometry, pre-calculus, or calculus.
    • Statement of Purpose of 250 to 650 words responding to one of the prompts below
      • Describe a class that was particularly challenging for you and what you did to meet that challenge. Describe, in detail, the subject matter. Consider the actions you took to be successful in that class.
      • Describe, in detail, a class that engaged your imagination. What did you like most about that class?
      • Describe the ways in which you believe college course work will be different from high school. Include the steps that you will take to remain on track for success in a college environment.

        If applying through the Common Application, we will honor writing samples supplied through that process.

  • Copy of your passport
  • Financial Certification Form (Bank statements are not needed for the application review)

International Transfer Students

Transfer students must submit a course-by-course academic credential evaluation. It must be a "course-by-course" and not a general evaluation. Approved international evaluation companies are:

Special Circumstances

  • Students who have taken West African Exams must provide the information below for verification purposes. If you have not taken these exams yet, we will ask you to submit this information at a later time.
    • Ghana: Index Number, Exam Type Exam Year, Date of Birth, Serial Number, and Pin.
    • Nigeria: (WASSCE) Reference Pin, Exam Type, Exam Year, Exam Number. (NECO) Exam Year, Exam Type, Token, Registration Number
    • Sierra Leone: Exam Type, Candidate Number, Year, Card Serial Number, Pin, Email
    • Gambia: Exam Type, Candidate Number, Year, Card Serial Number, Pin, Email
    • Liberia: Candidate Number, Exam Type, Exam Year, Card Serial Number, Card Pin, Email
  • Students from India who have taken CBSE Exams can send their Roll Number, School Number and Date of Birth, and if applicable their Admit ID.
  • Students from Ethiopia must submit their Ethiopian University Entrance Examination/Secondary School Leaving Examination issued by the National Educational Assessment and Examinations Agency.
  • Students from Jamaica should have their CSES, CAPE sent by their secondary school or the Caribbean Examinations Council.

You're a Spartan! Now it's time to prepare for the visa process.

Admitted Students

Mrs. Ines Ramirez serves as the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and Assistant Director of Intercultural Student Life and International Student Support. She processes the initial I-20 visa forms and serves as the primary point of contact on visa issues. Mrs. Ramirez can also provide important information on Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) options.

She can be reached by phone at +1 717-815-1786 or by email at Her office is in the Iosue Student Union, Room 101C

Applying For a New F-1 Student Visa

If you are not a U.S. citizen, a U.S. permanent resident, or hold other legal status, you need an F-1 student visa to study in the United States. Visas are issued by United States embassies and consulates not York College of Pennsylvania.  You cannot be issued an I-20 until after you have been admitted to York and submit the proper paperwork.

Once you schedule your visa interview appointment, remember that you must bring the following documents to present to the consular officer:

A consular officer will interview you to determine whether you qualify for a student visa. The officer may request additional documents, which you may bring to your interview, such as evidence of:

  • Your academic preparation, which may include transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended and standardized test scores required by your U.S. school
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of your program of study
  • Demonstrate you have access to at least $42,200 for a bachelor-seeking student and $34,000 for a master level-seeking student per academic year to support your studies, live, and travel. If you require a dependent F-2 visa, please certify an additional $7,000 for each dependent such as a spouse or child. Please refer to the documentation requirements if an I-20 for your F-2 dependent is needed
    • You must provide bank statements for anyone listed on the Certification of Finances form as well as tax forms, or pay stubs, or a letter from an employer stating your parent / sponsor's position, title, salary and how long they have worked at their current place of employment

When you receive the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) I-20 form you will sign Line 11 on Page 1, then take all three pages of Form I-20 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest you to apply for an F-1 student visa. Since you may need to provide certification of financial support when applying for a student visa we recommend that you obtain duplicate certifications of all financial documents.

If your visa is approved, you will receive an F-1 stamp in your passport. Some U.S. Embassies will place your I-20 in a sealed envelope and staple it to your passport. It is recommended that you do not open this envelope. The immigration officer at the U.S. port-of-entry will open the envelope and check your documents when you arrive. Check your visa for errors, such as your date of birth or before you leave the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

You may not enter the U.S. on your F-1 visa more than 30 days prior to the report date on your I-20.

Upon entry into the U.S., a Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) will create an electronic I-94 record of the non-immigrant arrival. The CBPO will also provide an admission stamp directly in the passport which will be annotated with the date of admission, class of admission and admitted until date. It is very important to keep the original I-20 with you during your travels as the CBPO may ask to see it upon your arrival to the United States.

Evidence of Financial Ability

A prospective student must have financial evidence showing that they or a sponsor has sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses during the period of intended study. Evidence of financial ability includes but is not limited to:

  • Family bank statements
  • Documentation from a sponsor
  • Financial aid letters
  • Scholarship letters
  • Tax forms or letter from an employer showing annual salary
  • Scholarship documents showing your financial guarantee (if you are being supported by a scholarship). If you are a SACM student, you would need a valid financial guarantee letter
  • If you have a sponsor who will support your education, you will need to complete the Affidavit of Support and provide bank statements as discussed previously  
  • Please upload the copy of financial documents as part of complete your I-20 application

Preparing for Your Visa Interview

Apply for you visa as soon as you get your I-20: The process of getting a visa can take some time. Check for visa wait times in your home country. If there are no appointments available in your area, you may wish to pursue an expedited appointment.

Practice Conversational English: You need to be comfortable explaining yourself and having a conversation.  For example, be able to tell the interviewer where York College is located. Whatever happens, stay calm and positive.

Dress Professionally: Make it clear you care about the interview and its outcome.

Know Your Course of Study: Be able to explain why you want to study in the United States as well as why you chose Yorke and your particular course of study. You also want to clearly state how your degree will help you with your career goals.

Have Your Documents Ready and Organized:

  • I-20
  • Acceptance letter
  • Financial documents or proof of financial support
  • Passport valid fort at least 6 months
  • SEVIS payment receipt
  • Photos for visa
  • Completed visa application (DS-160)
  • Transcripts or mark sheets, and diploma
  • Test scores such as Duolingo, TOEFL, IELTS, SAT

Have a Financial Plan: You will need to pay for tuition, housing, food, transportation, books, and so on. Therefore, have a reasonable plan that will allow you to explain how you will pay for your education and living costs, such as you or your family’s savings, and any scholarships you may have received.

Explain Your Ties to Your Home Country: Since you are applying for an F-1 student visa, you want to explain you will be returning home after studying in the USA. For example:

  • Your family
  • Property/businesses you may have
  • Employment
  • Long term professional goals

Other Important Forms

On Campus Employment

On-campus employment is available for domestic and F1 students. Jobs may be available in Dining/Catering Services, Admissions, Tutoring and other areas. Please note there are more students than jobs, so apply early! Opportunities can be found online at…

The Tuition Payment Plan allows students to pay a semester's tuition and fees over a four- or five-month period. Monthly payments are deducted from a checking or savings account or by credit card.

How to Get an SSN

Call York Social Security Administration
2670 Industrial Hwy, York, PA 17402
Phone: (888) 329-5732 (automated system)

You can speak to a Social Security representative by calling toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 8:00 am – 7:00 pm., Monday through Friday.

Bring your I-94 or I-551 or I-766, I-20, and passport. Bring the original documents, not copies or images on a phone.

For More Information

Ines M. Ramirez, PDSO
Assistant Director of Intercultural Student Life and International Student Support
Student Union, Room 101C

Take The Next Steps

Contact International Admissions

Need some extra guidance? Talk with International Admissions for extra support through the process. You may schedule a virtual appointment, or email Christian DiGregorio, Director of International Recruitment at


Your journey starts with your application. Invest in your future today.