Access Control

Traditional lock/key and key card access for campus facilities

The Department of Campus Safety provides traditional lock & key as well as access control services to the College community. Campus Safety is responsible for maintaining the College's key control system and authorizing the dissemination of keys. 

Issued keys are the property of York College and may be recovered at any time. Unauthorized fabrication, duplication, possession of, or use of keys to York College facilities is a violation of the key policy and is subject to disciplinary action.

Two side-by-side doors to a building in Springettsbury Apartments.

ID Card Access

Campus Safety provides ID card services to students, faculty, and staff — which includes printing cards and programming access for use in College facilities on campus. 

Students who are new to York College can submit a photo for use on their ID cards. If approved, the card will be printed and provided to them during Orientation in the fall.

  • Campus residents will only have access to their residence hall or dorm.
  • Access to academic facilities or areas is added at the request of the academic departments only.

Resources — Campus Keys and Key Cards

Keys to residence halls and rooms are issued and managed by Residence Life and Campus Housing. For information about accessing residential spaces on campus, email or call 717.815.1281.

Those seeking a key to any College-owned, leased, or rented facility, office, or equipment (including desks, cabinets, etc.) must fill out the Key Request Form. The form must be filled out accurately and completely and must be signed by the appropriate key signatory (refer to the types of key authorization required) and the party requesting the key prior to submitting the form to Campus Safety. Unsigned forms will be returned to the sender.

All persons issued York College keys shall, at all times, be held responsible and accountable for their keys and shall not transfer or loan their keys to another individual.

All personnel who are issued keys by the College are required to return all keys prior to the completion of their employment. Keys may be dropped off at the Campus Safety office during business hours.

Request a Key

Key Signatories

Key TypeSignatory
Room, Office, or Office SuiteDepartment Head or Director
Department, Classroom, or Lab MasterDepartment Head or Director
Building MasterVice President or Assistant VP
Great Grand MasterCollege President or VP
Other KeysDepartment Head or Director


As a general rule, the distribution of grand master, interior master, exterior master, and building master keys should be highly restricted. Master keys will only be distributed upon the written approval of the Vice President or Dean responsible for that area.

All requests for master keys will be reviewed by the Department of Campus Safety to ensure that proper security protocols are followed. At no time will a master key be issued whenever the issuance of such a key is determined to compromise the safety and security of the community.

Traditional Keys

Lost or stolen keys must be reported immediately to Campus Safety (717.815.1403).

An incident report will be generated documenting the circumstances of the loss. You will be required to complete the Lost Key Report Form and a new Key Control Policy and Request Form.

Replacement keys will not be issued unless an incident report has been completed.

Note: Replacement keys take two weeks to be cut and made available for issuance.

Lost Key Charges

Great Grand Master$200
Building Master$150
Interior/Exterior Master$150
Department or Lab Master$100
Single Lock or Building Entrance$50
Other KeysAt Cost
Lock Care Plus Labor ChargesAt Cost


Note: Lost key charges will be refunded if keys are found and turned in to the Campus Safety office within 30 days after being reported lost.

If the lock-core must be changed for security reasons, actual costs of re-keying will be determined by the campus locksmith and the cost may be charged to the department originally authorizing the keys and/or the individual to whom the keys were issued.

A request to have the lock-core changed can be initiated by a Vice President, Dean, or Department Chair after consultation with the locksmith and the Director of Campus Safety.

ID Key Cards

The card is a dual-technology, multi-purpose card (proximity and magnetic stripe) and is used for identification, access control, library services, and retail.  The card is often referred to on campus as your 'Flex Card.'

Lost or damaged ID cards may be replaced at the Campus Safety office or by submitting a Replacement ID Card Request online. There is a $20 replacement fee which will be billed to your account with the Business Office; Campus Safety does not accept payments.

Lost ID cards may be disabled by managing your card at York Flex Card Online. Please note that disabling your card online does not affect its access control programming. You must contact the Campus Safety office to have your key card fully disabled.

Report a Lost KeyRequest Student ID Card ReplacementRequest Faculty/Staff ID Card Replacement

Contact Campus Safety

Campus Safety Office
Manor Northeast, Lobby (Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
Phone: 717.815.1403

Campus Information Center
Iosue Student Union, Room 201 (Mon. - Sun., 8 a.m. - 12 a.m.)
Phone: 717.815.1314 (or Press 0 from any on-campus phone)

Emergencies and After Hours
Call 911 for local police, EMS, or fire department.
Call 717.815.1314 for Campus Police.