York College to Host Series of Events for National First-Generation College Student Day
More than 16 percent of York College students are first-generation students, the first in their family to attend college. To honor those students, as well as first-generation faculty and staff, York College will hold a series of events beginning on Nov. 7, National First-Generation College Student Day, which marks the anniversary of the signing of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
Events are sponsored by the First Spartan Advisory Group, created last year “to improve and enhance the experience for first-gen students by cultivating a sense of awareness, belonging, inclusion, encouragement, and resilience among first-gen students, faculty, staff, alumni, and allies. The First Spartans Advisory Board will work with other academic and co-curricular divisions to advocate for and foster a positive campus climate and resources for first-gen students.”
- Monday, Nov. 7: Induction ceremony for the Tri Alpha Honor Society for first-generation faculty, staff and students
- Tuesday, Nov. 8: Celebration of first-generation students in the Iosue Student Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 9: First-Generation art show and networking event in MarketView Arts from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 10: Workshop for faculty and staff on how to support first-generation students by guest speaker Dr. Darris R. Means in Yorkview Hall from 3:30 to 5 p.m. A presentation for students will be held in Weinstock Lecture Hall from 7 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 11: A fiesta celebration on campus with music, food, and fun activities in Alumni Hall in the West Campus Community Center
In addition, the First Spartans Advisory Board invites first-generation faculty and staff to show their support by wearing a First Spartans t-shirt designed by Minerva Carchi-Nieves, a first-generation senior graphic design major from York. Shirts are $10, and a portion of the proceeds will go to support programming for first-generation students at York College.