Rodney Altemose '92
Dr. Rodney Altemose is a 1992 York College of Pennsylvania graduate with a degree in Communications Studies, a master's from Shippensburg University in College Student Personnel Development and a doctorate from Wilmington College in Education, Leadership and Innovation. Rodney currently serves as the Interim Associate Vice President for Student Affairs at Bucks County Community College.
Rodney is the definition of what it means to be a Spartan For Life. He has given tirelessly to YCP with both his time, talent, and treasure. We are extremely lucky to have him as such an engaged volunteer. Below are some highlights of his involvement:
- Consistently gives to YCP and has since he graduated. Has given multiple times each year for the past 7 years.
- Member of the 1968 Giving Society.
- Was featured in the Day of Giving video in 2019: Day of Giving 2019 | Rodney and Alison
- Was on the Alumni Board from 2018-2022. During that time he has held several Executive Board positions on the Board, including Vice President.
- Actively recruited other alumni to serve on the Board of Directors.
- Served on the EVOLVE Campaign Cabinet and supported the entire EVOLVE Campaign.
- Attends events yearly and has served as the Alumni speaker on multiple occasions at alumni events. Since 2018, he has attended 16 total YCP alumni events.
- Spoke at Legacy Day in 2018, 2019, and 2020 with his daughter, who is also a YCP alumna.
- Actively involved with his fraternity (Zeta Beta Tau) and continues to plan reunion activities for the group.
Rodney’s enthusiasm for YCP is contagious and we are grateful for his continued service. Learn more about Rodney below.
What is your greatest accomplishment?
I am a first-generation college student. In saying that, I had no clue what to expect when arriving to YCP. After finding my career path, which in itself was a bit untraditional, I ended up pursuing my master's degree in College Counseling and ultimately completing my doctoral degree in Innovation and Leadership.
How did York College help you get to where you are today?
Without the mentorship and experiences in and out of the classroom, I would have never even dreamed about going into a career in higher education. It was truly the people at YCP that help me shape my future!
What/Who was your favorite course/professor at York College?
Two people were extremely influential to me during my tenure at YCP. Dean Merkle and Kelly Barclay--they both saw something in me--inspired me--mentored me. They continued to encourage me to be at my personal and academic best. I could never thank them enough!
What did you enjoy the most about your chosen career?
I love everything about working in Student Affairs--it provides me the perfect venue to capitalize on what I do well! College life is so fun! Every day I can influence someone in a positive way!
Currently works at Buck County Community College-Interim Associate VP of Student Affairs
Volunteer with The Trevor Project, The Human Rights Campaign and Habitat for Humanity
Married to Steve Martin, Son Patrick, Daughter Alison - YCP Alumni Class of 21
View all of the 2023 Spartans of the Year award recipients.