John Wilkens '02
Agency Principal Robert Wilkens Insurance Agency
"York College continues to help me to this day through business partnerships and lifelong friendships formed while achieving my degree. My work experiences on and off-campus, primarily through internships, laid a foundation of knowledge that I still apply in my day-to-day operations."
Current City: Demarest, NJ
YCP Degree: BA in Public Relations
- Agency principal at Robert Wilkens Insurance Agency running three locations, writing in five states. Took on a $1 million premium volume book of business in 2003 to now running at $18.5 million premium volume with 25 employees. The company is celebrating its largest growth year in over 25 years in business.
- 2019 recipient of Insurance Journal's Top 20 Insurance Agents in the United States—Real estate ownership and management of 30+ residential/mixed-use units throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- COO and co-founder of the Darren Drake Foundation. Founded when we tragically lost my cousin to the NYC bike path terror incident on Halloween in 2017. The Foundation strives every day to remember his legacy and to fundraise for Bergen County Trade School students in order to further their education. To date, over $55,000 has been raised and growing.
- Two-year board member of the Eastern Bergen County Community Chest which helps to fundraise $250,000 on average annually and vets that money to 19+ area charitable organizations that demonstrate a plan for good use of the funds
- Credits his success to his close-knit, strong family relationships including his wife, Lauren, and their three children: Gracen, Joseph, and Luke.
- 1999 initiate of Sigma Chi Epsilon Fraternity
- Increasing his involvement with YCP’s Office of Alumni Relations and offers YCP students internship opportunities within his agency as well as other partner insurance carriers/related industries
Connect with John
View all of the 2020 Spartans of the Year award recipients.