YORK COLLEGE IS TEST OPTIONAL
Whether you’re applying to York College as a Regular Decision or Early Decision* applicant, we want to make sure you understand exactly what materials are needed to properly review your application and make an official admission decision. Applications will be reviewed with or without a standardized test score. If you choose not to submit a test score, your application will not be treated any differently from those who choose to submit a test score.
Required application materials include:
- Completed York College application.
- Official high school transcripts, including your senior class schedule.
The following items are recommended, but not required to include with your completed application:
- At least one letter of recommendation from a high school junior or senior year teacher. Recommendations from English, math, science, foreign language, or history teachers are preferable.**
- A letter of recommendation from your school counselor.
- An essay or written personal statement of 250 to 650 words responding to one of the prompts below.***
- Describe a class that was particularly challenging for you and what you did to meet that challenge. Describe, in detail, the subject matter. Consider the actions you took to be successful in that class.
- Describe, in detail, a class that engaged your imagination. What did you like most about that class?
- Describe the ways in which you believe college course work will be different from high school. Include the steps that you will take to remain on track for success in a college environment.
- For certain applicants, an interview with the York College Admissions Office may be requested.
*In addition to the above mentioned items, Early Decision Applicants will also be asked to complete the electronic Early Decision agreement.
**Engineering applicants should choose at least one math teacher. Nursing and Health Professions applicants should choose a science or math teacher.
***If applying through the Common Application we will honor writing samples supplied through that process.
If you have questions, please reach out to your admissions counselor or send us an email at email@example.com.