Skip to main content
Spring on the York College campus

Back to List

Men's and Women's Lacrosse wrap up 2018 season.

May 22, 2018
The York College lacross programs have completed a highly successful regular season.

The York College women's lacrosse team fell in the regional final of the NCAA Tournament to Middlebury College 11-10 on Sunday afternoon. The Spartans jumped out to a 9-4 lead in the early stages of the second half, but the Panthers responded with seven straight goals to completely flip the game, take its first lead with just 10:58 left and hanging on despite a late Spartan push. York drops to 0-4 all-time in the regional final.

How it Happened:

• Regan Cook got things started for the Spartans, scoring just over five minutes into the game, pushing York out front. Less than a minute later, Meghan Fox drew a foul and then scored on the restart, doubling the York lead with 24:02 to play in the first half. The start was as picture perfect as it could be for the Spartans, but the Panthers quickly responded, cutting their deficit in half just 15 seconds later.

• Around the 20-minute mark, Charlotte Wright made a big save on the defensive end, leading to a transition opportunity for York, and another goal from Fox to make it 3-1. The sophomore was a constant threat, earning another free-position attempt with 18:09 left, but her shot flew wide. Wright made three early saves to keep the Green and White's cushion at two goals. Middlebury would eventually make it 3-2 with 14:25 left in the first half. But then, while the Panthers attempted to equalize, Nicole Clauter caused a turnover with a remarkable check and then ground ball, preserving the Spartan lead.

• Baleigh Bradley held the ball on the wing with 9:43 left, and then whipped a pass to a cutting Cook, who scored her second of the game, again extending the advantage to two goals. But, Emma McDonagh scored her second of the game with 7:16 to play, again pulling within one, at 4-3. The Panthers won the ensuing draw, immediately rushed to the net, but fumbled a shot. They scooped the ground ball and unleashed a shot, but Wright was up to the task, making another stop in net. Wright continued to make saves to preserve the lead, and the York offense capitalized on another save to double the lead again. Hayley McCormick assisted on Caitlin Rankin's goal with 5:23 before the break, and then Fox scored her third of the game less than two minutes later. Wright made six first-half saves to keep York up front, taking a 7-4 halftime lead.

• The Spartans scored the first two goals of the second half, including one from Fox just three minutes into the final period. Melissa Meehling scored just four minutes later, and York had its largest lead of the game at 9-4 with 23:33 left. From there, though, the Panthers dug in. Middlebury scored the next four goals unanswered to climb back within one goal at 9-8. Then, with 11:11 remaining, the Panthers pulled even for the first time since York took its 1-0 lead. Middlebury would then score to go up 10-9.

• With 6:20 remaining, Wright made another massive save to keep York within one at 10-9. But still, on the next offensive possession, the Spartans were turned away, continuing what would be a 23-minute scoring drought. The York defense earned another stop, forcing a shot clock violation with three minutes to play, still down a goal. But McDonagh scored again, her sixth of the game, this time on a free-position shot with 1:33 left to take an 11-9 lead. Devin Hursey whipped a pass to McCormick, and the sophomore buried her shot with just 28 seconds left to pull within one to give York some life. Middlebury, however, won the ensuing draw and was able to run out the clock to clinch a berth in the Final Four.

The second ranked York College men's lacrosse team saw their history 2018 season come to an end with a 12-7 loss to top ranked RIT on Wednesday evening in the Division III Quarterfinals. The Spartans conclude the campaign with a school record 19 wins, a Capital Athletic Conference regular season championship, and their second Elite Eight game appearance.

How It Happened:

• The top ranked Tigers opened the scoring less than four minutes into the contest as Jay Vakiener scored off a Ryan Tandy pass, putting RIT on top early. The Tigers made it 2-0 after Walker Hare saved a Brad Casale shot and RIT went right down the field with Ben Tackett picking up the goal. RIT made it 3-0 just under 40 seconds later as they won the face off and then got a Shawn Nally goal as the Spartans were back on their heels.

• The Tigers got a man-up goal from Kyle Killen with 6:12 left in the quarter. The goal was assisted by Ryan Barnable. York won the ensuing face off but Hare made another save and the Tigers scored on their next possession, pushing their lead to 5-0. York forced a turnover and the Tigers got whistled for an illegal body check, giving York a man-up opportunity. Hare made another save and the Tigers had a lengthy possession that resulted in a second Killen goal with just nine seconds left in the quarter, increasing RIT's lead to 6-0 after one quarter of play.

• Spartan senior goalie Landry Marshall made six saves in the first five minutes of the second quarter to keep the Green and White in the game. Despite Marshall's efforts, Killen notched his third goal of the game at the 9:51 mark, pushing the RIT lead to 7-0. The Spartans finally got on the board as Jake Hvazda caused Hare to turn the ball over and Hvazda converted the miscue into a goal at the 8:17 mark. York made it 7-2 with 24 seconds left in the half as Hunter Davis scored off a pass from Ryan Cook as the Spartans faced a five goal deficit at the half.

• York opened the third quarter scoring with a Gunnar Reynolds goal, 3:17 into the period as the Spartans trailed 7-3. RIT answered with goals from Aidan Milburn and Quinn Commandant less than a minute apart as the lead was back at six at 9-3. York's Thomas Pfeiffer recorded a man-up goal with 4:13 left in the third followed by a Dillon Hannah tally as York cut the lead back to four at 9-5 with 1:29 left in the third.

• York scored their third straight goal as Matt Whitcher notched an unassisted goal with 11:33 left in the game as the RIT lead was cut to 9-6. Milburn and Killen got back-to-back goals, pushing the Tiger lead back to five with just under eight minutes left in regulation.

• Hannah scored the Spartans' final goal of the year with 6:11 left in regulation and Killen scored his fifth goal of the night and his 84th of the year with 2:04 to provide for the final score.

To view stats and news, visit our Athletics website.

New to YCP? Let us help you find your path.
Explore the information on our site that matters to you most.