Respiratory Care (RRT to BSRT)
Requirements for Admission
This accelerated option to the Respiratory Care major is now accepting students for the Fall 2022 semester. This option is available to currently certified Respiratory Therapists seeking to further their career by earning a B.S. degree. These students have already earned their A.S. degree, passed the CoARC certification exam, and are currently employed in the field.
- A minimum of 75 credits from a CoARC accredited RT program, an earned A.S. degree and meet core curriculum requirements (see below).
- A minimum of 2.0 or higher in all core curriculum courses as well as required courses in the major.
- Completion of the following prerequisite core curriculum courses:
a. Anatomy and Physiology 1 with lab 4 credit hours
b. Anatomy and Physiology 2 with lab 4 credit hours
c. Microbiology with lab 4 credit hours
d. Chemistry course with lab 4 credit hours
e. Genetics course with lab* 4 credit hours
- Required cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in Associate’s Degree program.
*Course could be completed once matriculated into the accelerated RT program at York College.
Requirements for Graduation
For students entering into York College with an Associate Degree from an accredited institution, YCP offers comprehensive general education transfer* for transfer students with an Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.), Associate Degree in Nursing (A.D.N.), Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.), or Associate of Arts in Teaching (A.A.T.) degree or other college transfer associate degrees from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
*Students will need to consult the program advisor and course catalog regarding coursework and GPA requirements for specific majors and all programs leading to licensure/certification as some of these requirements are covered in general education courses. This applies to all Education students and students in programs requiring general education courses as part of the major requirements. A minimum of 45 credits of the major course curriculum (below) is required for graduation with a Bachelor of Science degree in Respiratory Therapy. These 45 credits must be completed through York College.
Required Major Courses (27 credits)
- BEH 260 or MAT 250 Statistics - 3 credits
- BHA 415 Administration of Healthcare Systems - 3 credits
- HSC 2XX Principles of Pharmacology - 3 credits
- PHL 340, 341, 342, or 346 (Ethics) - 3 credits
- RT 320 Pulmonary Physiology - 3 credits
- RT 330 Cardiac Physiology - 2 credits
- RT 410 Independent Study in Respiratory Therapy - 1 credit
- RT 440 Advanced Respiratory Assessment and Life Support - 3 credits
- RT 450 Respiratory Therapy Seminar - 2 credits
- RT 460 Respiratory Care Leadership - 2 credits
- RT 4XX BSRT Clinical Capstone - 2 credits
Required Electives (18 credits)
Students choose any 18 credits from the following selection of courses:
- BHA 310 Public Health Administration - 3 credits
- BHA 400 Healthcare Insurance Reimbursement - 3 credits
- GER 215 Social Aspects of Aging - 3 credits
- GER 312 Psychological Aspects of Aging - 3 credits
- GER 330 Death, Dying, and Bereavement - 3 credits
- MGT 380 Leadership and Change in Organizations - 3 credits
- NUR 202 Nutrition in Health Care - 3 credits
- NUR 385 Comparative Health Care - 3 credits
- PHL 225 Philosophy of Medicine - 3 credits
- PS 357 Health Law and Policy - 3 credits
Students in the accelerated RRT to BSRT program do not follow a regular course sequence. Students must work closely with their academic advisor to establish a degree completion plan.