Pre-Medical Scholars who are considered for this special option are interviewed by members of the York College Pre-Medical Committee and, if considered qualified, are referred to Penn State College of Medicine at Hershey for further interviews during the summer prior to their junior year. For those selected, a place is reserved in the appropriate year's entering class at Hershey provided that they maintain a satisfactory G.P.A. in premedical courses and achieve competitive MCAT scores.
It is expected that Hershey Premedical Scholars will explore upper division courses outside their major fields, allowing them to assimilate the values and personal skills desirable in physicians today.
Criteria for Sustaining Eligibility
- Cumulative G.P.A. of at least 3.5 (with a minimum of 3.6 in science/math courses).
- Completion of eight of the following ten required math/science courses, all of which must be taken at York College by the end of the sophomore year.
- Biology -2 semesters
- General Chemistry – 2 semesters
- Organic Chemistry – 2 semesters
- Mathematics (calculus recommended) - 2 semesters
- Physics -2 semesters
- Preference may be given to Pennsylvania residents, due to the funding structure of the Penn State College of Medicine.
Acceptances are contingent upon:
- Satisfactory performance on the MCAT in the spring of the junior year. A specific score is not required: however, students are expected to perform at or above the mean score in each section when compared with the previous College of Medicine entering class.
- Completion of the required pre-professional courses outlined in the Penn State College of Medicine Bulletin
- Maintenance of a 3.5 or higher cumulative G.P.A. (with a minimum of 3.6 in science/math courses.)