Spring on the York College campus

Course Registration

  • What tasks are essential to complete before I register for classes?

    1. Get organized:

    a. Review the requirements for your major to identify what courses you still need to take

    b. Create a tentative schedule, take advantage of My Plan, refer to the College Catalogs, and review the Schedule of Classes

    c. Determine when you are eligible to begin registering for classes using the Student Scheduling Timetable

    d. Ensure that you do not have any account holds associated with deposits, library fees, parking tickets, medical records, etc. via YCP Web

    2. Consult your academic advisor:

    a. Share your tentative schedule with your advisor and discuss any changes

    b. Discuss your academic progress and plans

    c. Ask if your advisor has released the hold from your account

  • Where can I get the College Catalog?

    College Catalogs are available online through the Registrar’s web page.

  • How do I know what order to take the classes that are required for my major?

    To ensure that you are correctly sequencing your coursework, refer to the “Programs of Study” section of the College Catalog. Look for your academic department (listed alphabetically) and then your major, which is listed alphabetically within the department. The suggested course sequence for your major can be used as a template upon which to make your own academic plan in consultation with your academic advisor.

  • What do the abbreviations mean on the list of courses that apply to Area Distribution Requirements?

    Fine Arts and Humanities (Area I)

    ART = Art
    FLM = Film
    HUM = Humanities
    LIT = Literature
    MUS = Music
    PHL = Philosophy
    REL = Religion
    THE = Theatre
    WGS = Women’s and Gender Studies
    WRT = Writing 

    Social and Behavioral Sciences (Area II)

    ANT = Anthropology
    ECO = Economics
    EDU = Education
    G = Geography
    GER = Gerontology
    HIS = History
    MGT = Management
    OBD = Organizational Behavior and Development
    PS = Political Science
    PSY = Psychology
    REC = Recreation and Leisure Administration
    SOC = Sociology
    WGS = Women’s and Gender Studies

    Laboratory Sciences (Area III)

    BIO = Biology
    CHM = Chemistry
    ESS = Earth and Space Science
    PHY = Physics
    PSC = Physical Science

    American/Western Civilization and American Government (Area IV)

    HIS = History
    PS = Political Science

    International Studies/Foreign Language (Area V)

    ARB = Arabic         
    FRN = French         
    GRM = German     
    ITL = Italian           
    LAT = Latin
    RUS = Russian
    SPN = Spanish

    International Studies:
    G = Geography
    HIS = History
    INT = International Studies
    PS = Political Science

  • Where can I find a list of courses being offered?

    The Schedule of Classes is available on the Registrar’s web page. You may search for classes by subject or by instructor. The Schedule of Classes provides information such as when and where the course will be taught, who will be teaching it, how many seats are open and the CRN (Course Reference Number) you will need to register for the class.

  • How do I find the date and time that I am eligible to begin registering for classes?

    Consult the Student Scheduling Timetable available on the Registrar’s web page. The day that you are eligible to begin registering is based on the number of credits you earned* at the end of the previous semester—including transfer credits, if applicable; the credits you will earn from courses in progress (i.e., courses you currently are taking) are not included in this total. The time that you are eligible to begin registering is based on the first letter of your last name. You may register at or after your appointed time if you have no holds on your account.


    *Student athletes are able to register earlier than most freshmen and sophomores to facilitate the coordination of their academic and athletic responsibilities.

  • How can I determine if I have any holds on my account?
    1. Log-in to MyYCP
    2. Click on the YCP Web icon
    3. Select “Student Services”
    4. Click “Student Records”
    5. Select “View Holds”
  • How do I find my academic advisor’s name?
    1. Log-in to MyYCP
    2. Click on the YCP Web icon
    3. Select “Student Services”
    4. Click “Student Records”
    5. Select “Academic Transcript”
    6. Click “Submit”
    7. Your advisor’s name will be listed toward the top of your transcript under the heading “Primary Advisor”
  • How do I register for classes online?
    1. Log-in to MyYCP
    2. Click on the YCP Web icon
    3. Click “Student Services”
    4. Select “Registration”
    5. Click “Add/Drop Classes”
    6. Select the academic term you want to register for and click “Submit”
    7. Where indicated, enter the CRNs (Course Reference Numbers) for the courses you have selected from the Schedule of Classes
    8. Click “Submit Changes” to complete your registration
  • What is a Course Reference Number (CRN) and why do I need it?

    The CRN is a unique five-digit number that is assigned to each section of every course at the College and can be found in the Schedule of Classes; it is not the same as a course number, which begins with a one- to three-letter program identifier followed by three numbers. For example, HIS101 is the course number for Western Civilization I, while 10759 is the CRN for a particular section of HIS101 that meets on specific days and times during a certain semester. The CRN will be needed when you register for classes.

  • What is the minimum number of credits I need register for each semester to be a full-time student?

    Full-time students must register for a minimum of 12 credits; part-time students may register for up to 11.5 credits. There is a flat tuition fee for 12-18 credits with additional fees starting at 18.5 credit hours.

  • How does registration differ for student athletes?

    Due to the need to reserve a block of time for their athletic obligations, new student athletes are permitted to register early. If you are a member of one of the college’s NCAA teams, refer to the metableRegistrarmetable for athletes’ priority registration period. You also should confirm with your coach that your name has been included on the student athletes list that is provided to the Registrar’s Office.

  • An error message appeared when I tried to register for classes: What does it mean?

    A list of common registration error messages and associated descriptions is available on the Registrar’s Office web page. If you need additional assistance, contact the Registrar's Office at 717.815.1273.

  • How do I declare or change my major and/or minor?

    To declare or change your major, minor, and/or constellation, please contact the Academic Advising Center. Many majors can be declared immediately by completing a one-page “Change in Student Record Form”. Once the form is completed, you will be assigned a new academic advisor and provided with the current worksheet for the new major. Some majors have specific entry requirements (e.g., an audition) or may require students to meet with the program coordinator prior to declaring; a listing of these “restricted majors” is available through the Academic Advising Center’s web page.

  • How do I request a different academic advisor if I’m not changing my major?

    To be assigned a different academic advisor, please contact the Academic Advising Center at 717-815-1531 or academicadvising@ycp.edu

  • What is a Curriculum Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) analysis?

    CAPP is an online tool that allows students and advisors to compare transcripts to major and minor requirements. The analysis will reveal which major requirements have been met and which have not been met. CAPP can also perform “What If…” analyses by comparing a student’s transcript to any major offered at York College. To access CAPP:

    1. Log-in to MyYCP
    2. Click on the YCP Web icon
    3. Select “Student Services”
    4. Click “Student Records”
    5. Select “CAPP Degree Evaluation”
    6. Select the current academic term and click “Submit”
    7. Click on the action you wish to take: “View Previous Evaluations”, “Generate New Evaluation”, or conduct a “What-if Analysis”
  • What does it mean when students are “non-matriculated” and when can they register?

    Non-matriculated students meet one or both of the following criteria: (1) they have not applied to the College, and/or (2) they have not been admitted as a student into a degree program. Students become matriculated when they have applied to the College, have been admitted to a degree program, and are enrolled in one or more courses. The particular date on which non-matriculated students may begin to register for classes is listed on the Registrar Timetable.

  • Which courses may and may not be taken on a pass/fail basis?

    York College students may take designated courses on a pass/fail basis. Those courses offered with the pass/fail option will be indicated in the Schedule of Classes. Students may register for a maximum of two pass/fail courses per academic year with a maximum of eight such courses in a student's undergraduate program. Students may not take courses required in their major or minor field on a pass/fail basis and may not use pass/fail courses to complete General Education requirements (i.e., Common Core and Area Distribution Requirements) even if courses are offered in that manner. In addition, a student registered for a 12-credit course load with three credits of pass/fail coursework will not be eligible for Dean's List recognition.

  • How do I know if a physical education course is for females only, males only, or co-ed?

    Gender specifications are noted in parentheses next to each physical education course title in the “Course Descriptions” section of the College Catalog. They also are indicated in the “Type” column of the Schedule of Classes: COD means co-ed, MAL means male-only, and FML means female-only.

  • What is the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?





    The end of the first week of each semester

    After the Drop/Add period and until the ninth Friday of each semester

    Transcript Impact

    Course(s) not listed on the transcript

    Course(s) listed on the transcript with a notation of “W”

    Procedure Required

    First semester students:

    1. Go to the Registrar’s Office to complete a “Records and Registrar’s Office Change Form”


    Second semester students and beyond:

    1. Log-in to MyYCP
    2. Click on the YCP Web icon
    3. Select “Student Services”
    4. Click “Registration”
    5. Select “Add/Drop Classes”
    6. Select the term in which you want to change your schedule and click “Submit”
    7. Click on the Action box and select “Web Drop”
    8. Click “Submit Changes on the bottom of the page


    Go to the Registrar’s Office to complete a “Records and Registrar’s Office Change Form”

    Complete a “Records and Registrar’s Office Change Form” at the Records Office. Giving notice to the professor or failing to attend class does not constitute a course withdrawal.



  • How do I contact the Business Office and where is it located?

    The Business Office’s phone number is 717.815.1470, and the email address is businessoffice@ycp.edu. It is located in the Miller Administration Building, Room 8. It's the first building on your right when you enter the main campus entrance.

  • How do I contact the Registrar’s Office and where is it located?

    The Registrar’s Office’s phone number is 717.815.1273, and the email address is registrar@ycp.edu. It is located in the Miller Administration Building, Room 32. It's the first building on your right when you enter the main campus entrance.

  • How do I contact the Academic Advising Center and where is it located?

    The Academic Advising Center’s phone number is 717.815.1531, and the email address is academicadvising@ycp.edu. It is located in Campbell Hall, Room 200. It's the second building on your left when you enter the main campus entrance.