York College of Pennsylvania is a residential college. As such, all first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are required to live on campus, unless they are enrolled as a commuting student. This includes transfers and readmitted students. Commuters are those students who reside from the home of their parent/guardian within a 35-mile radius of the campus and reside at their legal residence. Please note that students currently living on campus that wish to request commuter status must do so during the request period which happens during the Spring semester for the following academic year.
Contracts are for the full academic year, including for those students that become part-time during the spring semester. A full copy of the housing policy and residency requirement may be found online. Students who do not qualify for commuter status are required to reside on-campus, including those that are eligible to be full-time, but elect to be part-time.
Any student interested in living off campus or commuting from the home of parent/guardian for future years, must apply and attain written authorization through the off-campus/commuting application process.
a. York College of Pennsylvania is a residential college. As such, all first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and seniors are required to live on campus, unless they are enrolled as a commuting student. This includes transfer and readmitted students. Commuters are those students who reside from the home of their parent/guardian within a 35-mile radius of the campus and reside at their legal residence.
b. Students may apply to live off-campus, with the authorization of the Residence Life Office, in a dwelling unit which is not the domicile of a parent/guardian if:
- they fill out and complete an off-campus application (applications will be reviewed by credits earned, with priority given to those who have earned the most)
- are in good academic standing (eligible to be full-time without restriction or probation)
- are in good discipline standing – student conduct records will be reviewed
- the dwelling unit they plan to live in must be licensed by the City of York or relevant municipality
- they attend a mandatory meeting regarding off-campus housing policies and expectations
- they confirm in writing their understanding that York College of Pennsylvania does not warrant the suitability or safety of the off-campus dwelling unit they plan to occupy and that the student is responsible to ascertain that the unit is suitable, safe, and in compliance with applicable law
c. Not all students that apply will receive permission to live off-campus. We discourage students from signing leases until they have been granted permission to reside off-campus. Please see Off-Campus Housing section in the Student Handbook for full procedures.
d. Commuting - On-campus students wishing to commute from the domicile of a parent/guardian must request to do so through the application process, which is due by March 15 of the current academic year. They must also live within a 35-mile radius of York College of Pennsylvania. If a request is made after March 15, you may be denied.
e. Violations of the Housing Policy (on and off campus) shall be adjudicated through College disciplinary channels. We encourage all students to be aware of their rights and responsibilities regarding occupancy and safety. These ordinances vary according to the municipality in which the home/apartment is located. Check with the local borough or township office for ordinances that apply to that locality.
Throughout the academic year, the resident student is bound by his/her housing contract unless he/she is released by the Director of Residence Life.
York College Housing Contract
This contract is for the academic year, or summer sessions, whichever is applicable, or any prorated portion thereof. This contract does not provide housing during recess periods. At the end of the academic year, each student must check out, return room key(s), and remove all belongings from the room.