Glatfelter Public Affairs Scholars
The Glatfelter Public Affairs Scholars are a community of students dedicated to advancing social change through rigorous and reliable public policy research. They are also part of a larger network of campus and community leaders called the York Engaged Scholars—an honors program that brings together a wide range of students to take on real-world projects, to solve key community problems, and to enhance their own education through hands-on experiences.
Our Scholars share many attributes:
- An entrepreneurial spirit—the ability to get things done through creative thinking and innovation skills;
- A belief that we learn best by doing, not just through classroom learning;
- A belief in teamwork and collaboration;
- A commitment to the value of serving one’s community toward transformative change;
- Leadership skills and empathy to achieve that change; and
- An understanding of the positive value we achieve in our personal lives and careers when we serve others.
The Glatfelter Public Affairs Scholars cultivate a deeper understanding of the public issues facing our community, our state, and our world. Through this program, you will have the opportunity to undertake actionable research, develop sustainable solutions, and nurture the skills necessary to become an effective social science research and public leader. Students in any academic field—especially those who are interested in careers in law, government, public affairs, public policy, non-profits, corporations, or the community—can find a place within our interdisciplinary program, and will have unparalleled access to regional thought leaders and public officials.