Frequently Asked Housing Questions

The following are questions York College students frequently ask about housing. If your question is not addressed here, please contact Residential Life and Housing at 717.815.1281 or


How does the College supervise the residence halls?

The Office of Residence Life carefully selects student leaders to be Resident Assistants (RAs) and House Managers (HMs) for each residence hall.  The primary role of an RA is to assist in creating a living-learning experience for all residents. RAs help promote acceptable standards of living, community responsibility, and group interaction within the residence hall.  RAs serve as a liaison between students and the College administration and share directly in the responsibility of upholding College policies and regulations. RAs serve a part of an on-call rotation, wherein each area of campus has at least two RAs on-duty every night of the week. While the RA enforces policy in the halls, students are expected to be considerate of one another, respect public and private property, and practice self-discipline. College policies are in place for the growth, development and protection of all students. The atmosphere in each residence should enrich student growth and development, and should play a positive role in the student’s total educational experience.

In addition to RAs, each residential complex (West Campus, North Campus, Manor and Penn/Beard) has an Area Coordinator or Resident Director (AC/RD).  This individual is a “live-in” professional staff member who coordinates and supervises the overall operation of the complex and is immediately responsible to the Assistant Director’s of Residence Life. General functions of the Area Coordinator/Resident Director include ensuring the security of the hall, its residents, and guests, as well as the maintenance and cleanliness of the facility. Duties also include the execution of complete and efficient office and desk services, representing student needs in policy making and evaluation of the Residence Life program, and developing and coordinating social and educational experiences with students to supplement their academic work. Area Coordinators/Resident Directors also serve as judicial hearing officers in conduct hearings for code of conduct violations. 


How do I find out who my AC/RD is?

Choose the 'contact us' link on the Residence Life web page. 


What kind of security is there?

The Department of Campus Safety is located in the lobby of Manor Northeast. The department operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Please visit the Campus Safety web page for more information regarding safety information and service their office provides.

Additionally,  Resident Assistants are on-duty for each residential complex every night and weekend.  A Residence Life professional staff member is also on-call 24 hours a day for emergencies. We always encourage students to contact Campus Safety in the event of an emergency at 717-815-1314


What does my room look like? How big will my room be?

York College has many different living options. It depends on which one you live in. Typically the bedroom is approximately 12’ x 16’. For more details about each living option, please go to the On-Campus Housing Options page. Then click on the particular hall in which you are interested.


What comes in the room?

Items typically included in all rooms are: beds, dressers, closets, desks, mirrors, chairs, towel racks/hook, and blinds.

All traditional hall double-rooms offer two beds, two desks, two desk chairs, two wardrobes with drawers, a mirror, a towel-rack/hook, a desk light, blinds pre-hung on the windows, wireless networking. In lieu of a wardrobe with drawers, some traditional halls will have an open closet with drawers. Windows are typically 4’ wide by 5’ high and the bedrooms are typically 12’ wide by 16’ long.

*Each building varies slightly in amenties and style of furniture.


What might a student bring with them?

Students are permitted to bring additional decor and furnishings at their discretion to make their space unique.  However, college furnishings MUST stay in the space in which they were placed. You may find the following packing lists helpful.

Traditional Hall Packing List

Little Run Lodge Packing List

Apartment Packing List

House Packing List



What can I not bring?

  • Microwaves (Microwaves can only be rented  as part of the combo unit for traditional halls-Manor Complex, Penn, Beard, Evergreen, Willow, Laurel and Codorus, Northside Commons, Little Run) *Apartments and Houses - can bring one microwave that is less then 700 watts for the kitchen area.
  • Refrigerators larger than 3.6 ft2, 1.5 amps
  • Candles, Incense, Lava Lamps, or any substance to be burned
  • Cooking Appliances - coffee maker, hot plate, blenders, George Foreman grill (Small cooking appliances are permitted in house and apartment settings. Only auto shut-off coffee makers are permitted.)
  • Darts/Dartboard
  • Pets (except fish- no larger than a 10 gallon tank)
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Barbeque Grills
  • Space Heaters
  • Air Conditioners of any kind
  • Weapons and/or Explosives –including paint ball and air soft guns, firecrackers and any combustible materials
  • Alcohol Beverages (CCM residents should review the Independent Living Policy)
  • Alcohol Paraphernalia- including decorative empty bottles
  • Illegal Drugs and Paraphernalia
  • Adhesive, Nails, Screws that may damage any building surface
  • Construction and/or Street Signs
  • Amplifiers (even if the student has headphones)


This list is not intended to be comprehensive. For more information on what to bring/what not to bring, please refer to the Conditions Of Occupancy in the York College Housing Contract.


What size is my bed? Does the school provide a linen service?

Your bed is an extra-long with an extra-long twin-sized mattress (36x80). The beds can be adjusted from approximately 4 inches off the ground to approximately 27 inches high. The College does not currently provide a linen service, so you will need to provide your own bed linens (sheets, blankets, pillows, pillow cases, etc.)


Do I need to bring curtains?

You can bring curtains to dress up the room, but it is not necessary. All rooms have blinds or mini-blinds. If you choose to hang curtains, you will need to bring a tension rod. You may not nail or drive anything into the walls or windows for a curtain rod.


Can I rent a refrigerator? How about a microwave?

Yes, microfridge units are available for rent through Campus Specialties. You may bring your own mini-fridge (3.6 cubic feet and 1.5 amps or less) if you live in the traditional halls but you must rent a microfridge combo unit if you wish to have a microwave for personal use in your room.  Many traditional halls have a microwave available in the lobby of the building for all residents to use. 

Those who live in an apartment may bring their own microwave or microfridge.  Microwaves must be 700 watts or less.  Only one microfridge and one microwave are permitted per bedroom.


Can I have a pet?

Fish are the only pets permitted in the residence halls.  Fish must be contained in a tank no larger than 10 gallons. No other pet or animal of any type are allowed to stay, even as “guests.” If someone has a pet (other than fish) they will be subject to disciplinary action. This also pertains to any strays that might be around the building (i.e. cats, dogs, etc.) No animals are allowed in the buildings. In addition, lab specimens are also prohibited.


Do I need any special equipment for cable television?

York College recently upgraded its cable television package.  Students may now enjoy several HD channels and even many premium channels.  In order to access this cable, televisions must be QAM compliant.  If your TV is not QAM compliant you may need to purchase a digital converter or QAM set top box.  QAM set top boxes are available for purchase from the YCP Bookstore.

Typically the manufacturer site is the most accurate in determining if a particular model of TV is QAM compliant. Often you will need to look in or download the manufacturer manual and look in the specifications section.

- Tube TVs -> NTSC (old analog) -> QAM set top box needed.

-Flat Panel TVs -> NTSC and ATSC -> QAM set top box needed.

-Flat Panel TVs -> NTSC, ATSC and QAM -> no set top box needed.

-Computer tuner cards will need to be QAM compliant.


Do I need to bring a telephone?

Local telephone service is typically provided within the main common areas or designated locations of residence halls. With increased cell phone usage, the College no longer provides specific phone lines within each individual bedroom. Residence halls have floor phones that may be used for local or emergency calling. Any concerns or repair issues should be directed to the IT Help Desk, (717) 815-1559 or


Can I smoke in my bedroom or apartment?

No. It is the policy of York College that students, faculty, and staff are entitled to study and work in areas that are free of tobacco smoke and litter from tobacco products. Therefore, smoking and chewing are prohibited in all campus facilities.  Smoking is also prohibited up to 25 feet from any campus building.

* Should smoke from outside 25 feet cause a concern, students may be asked to move further away from a residence hall.


Can I have incense or candles?

No. Open flame devices present an unacceptable fire risk in a residence hall setting. As a result, College policy prohibits the use of candles, candle warmers, incense, solid fuel devices, kerosene lamps, open burning elements (tabletop stoves), and other open flame devices in the residence halls. Unlit/unused decorative candles are prohibited.

*Illegal items will be referred to the College's disciplinary system. A typical first offense is a $50 fine.  Please leave these items at home.


How much is laundry and where is it?

Each hall/complex has laundry facilities.  Some are centrally located in the building while others are located on individual floors or an adjacent building.  One wash cycle costs $1.00 and a dry cycle costs $1.25.  Flex cards must be used for all washers and dryers on campus except in the Springdale Pershing, Kieffer, Curry, Arnold, Wenger and Newberry houses.  These houses have coin-operated machines.  You can add more flex dollars to your card and the Business Office in the Miller Administration building or by visiting the YCP Flex Card Webpage.


Where can I store my bike?

There are bike racks outside each residence hall or within close proximity and throughout campus. Bikes may not be stored within residence halls, attached to trees or lamp posts.

*Northside Commons includes an indoor bike storage room that can be utlized by Northside residents.  Passes can be purchased for a minimal amount through Campus Safety.

**CCM Garages - There is currently a covered bike area near garages 20 & 21


Who cleans my room?

Each student is responsible for cleaning his/her own room or apartment. The College reserves the right to have rooms cleaned by the custodial staff and/or to initiate disciplinary proceedings against students who do not respond to requests to upgrade the condition of their rooms or apartments. Any charges incurred would be billed directly to the student. Student in small houses share the responsibility for maintaining the cleanliness of the house.


Can I request where and with whom I want to live?

New Students: This is done through the housing contract.  You will be able to request up to three building preferences.  Please make sure you select the correct semester when adding building preferences.  There is also a roommate request period which typically happens towards the end of April through the middle of May.

Returning Students:  Returning students select their spaces and roommates during the room selection period which takes place during the Spring semester. Please note that not all students may receive their first choice of placement.  Students that do not choose during room selection will be placed during the summer.

*Both processes are triggered with the student submitting the correct tuition and housing deposits.


What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

The relationship between roommates often impacts one’s satisfaction with college life. Ingredients for a successful relationship are the expression of one’s needs, the recognition and respect for the unique needs and lifestyles of others, and the positive management of conflict. Students are expected to take primary responsibility for ensuring the development and maintenance of a positive roommate relationship. Students are strongly encouraged to invest themselves fully in working together to resolve differences by speaking directly to roommates, sharing concerns, expressing feelings in an honest manner, and jointly resolving conflict. In some cases a roommate may be unresponsive or difficult to approach. In either situation, the student should seek help from his/her Resident Assistant/House Manager or their Area Coordinator/Resident Director. Residence hall staff members can assist students in expressing themselves to their roommates or in negotiating a Roommate Contract.


When is visitation?

Visitation in student rooms is permitted on the basis of the schedule and regulations below:
Sunday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-1 a.m.
Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 a.m.
All guests must be escorted in and around the building by a resident at all times. From 10 a.m. until closing, all guests must sign in and out at the front desk of the lobby (if applicable). Photo identification must be left (College ID, driver's license, etc.). Residents are responsible for informing their guests of policies, rules, and regulations. Students will be held accountable for their guest’s behavior. These policies extends to facilities without front desks as well. All non-student guests must be 18 years or older unless with their parent/guardian.


Can I have friends stay overnight?

York College resident students may house overnight guests of the same sex in their room provided there is permission from both their roommates and the Area Coordinator/Resident Director for that facility. Guests of the opposite sex may stay overnight, but must make arrangements to stay in a room of their same sex. Area Coordinator/Resident Director must be notified at least 48 hours in advance of the guest's arrival. Guest visits are limited to no more than two (2) consecutive nights. Guests must be 18 or older. Any one room may host no more than two (2) guests at any time.

Student hosts are responsible for their guests who are expected to observe College regulations during their stay on campus. Other occupants of rooms where a guest is requested must approve the arrangements prior to submitting the guest form(s) to the Area Coordinator/Resident Director. Please consult the student hanbook for the full policy.


Am I required to have a meal plan?

Students living in traditional or suite style housing are automatically assigned a 225 meal plan.  This is a full meal plan that allows students to eat 15 meals a week for the semester.  You have the opportunity to change your plan to the 225 Advantage, 165 Advantage or the Ultimate Plan.  More information about each plan can be found at Meal Plans can be used at “all you care to eat” dining facilities.  Meals cannot be used in retail locations, but dining points can. Students living in college-owned apartments and houses, off-campus, or commuting from home may choose to enroll in one of the full meal options or choose one of the block reservations.


What is co-ed housing?

Male and female students are housed in the building by floor, suite, or apartment. An example of coed housing would be males on the first floor, females on the second floor, and males on the third floor.

Additionally, the College offers a co-ed living option within our Independent Living area (Country Club Manor apartments).  These apartments may be co-ed, but individual bedrooms must be single-sex.


What is my mailing address?

Please refer to the Mail Services page for current addresses.


What are the quiet hours within the residence halls?

It is the policy of York College that the residence facilities will be reasonably quiet at all times. Each hall establishes a schedule of hours when restrictions on noise are maintained above and beyond the College “quiet hours.” This is to ensure privacy, to maintain respect for the rights of others, and to encourage an academic environment. Students are expected to abide by Courtesy Hours at all times, meaning that they should be courteous to neighbors above, below, beside and down the hall from them by not making noise so as to disturb them. Further, if they are asked to reasonably lower their noise level at any time, they should do so. Quiet hours are seven days a week from 10:00 p.m. – 10:00 a.m.. When many students are sleeping or studying, residents should be especially quiet and keep their noise level low enough so as not to disturb other students.

The Residence Life Office supports the philosophy of final examinations and a finals week each semester. You will be asked to abide by the following quiet hours so that the integrity of finals week can be maintained for all students. These hours will be strictly enforced.

Quiet Hours: 24 hours beginning 10:00 p.m. the night before ‘reading’ day.


Is alcohol allowed on-campus? What if I’m 21?

Alcohol is not permitted in residential facilities, except for the designated Independent Living community (see Independent Living guidelines). No student or guest under the age of 21 is permitted to possess or consume alcohol, at any time. Please see the Code of Conduct for more information.

The Independent Living community, Country Club Manor Apartments, is coordinated by the Office of Residence Life.  The Office has established policies and standards of behavior for this community in accordance with York College’s mission.  The goal of this community is to provide a safe on-campus living arrangement for legal age students to remain on-campus where they may responsibly consume alcoholic beverages.


Can I bring my car? Where do I park?

More information regarding parking can be found by visiting the Campus Safety web page.


What happens when a student violates a campus policy?

If a student violates the YCP code of conduct on or off campus, he/she will meet with a Residence Life Administrator to discuss the policy violation and outcomes.  For complete and detailed information regarding the student code of conduct, conduct process, sanctioning, and appeal process, please refer to the student code of conduct.


What if my belongings are lost or stolen on campus?

Students are responsible for their personal items. If your items are missing, please file a report with Campus Safety as soon as possible. York College of Pennsylvania cannot accept any responsibility for damaged, lost, or stolen personal property.


What do I do if I break or lose my keys?

If you break your keys go to the Residence Life Office, Student Union, Room 307. You must bring all parts of your broken key with you. A key request will be entered for you. Your key will be replaced for free. If you do not have any of your broken key parts to hand in, you will be charged as though it were a lost or stolen key. If you lost or someone stole your key(s) go to the Residence Life Office. A lock change will be entered for you. You and your roommates will receive new keys after the lock change has been completed. The cost for key replacement is $50.00 for the lock change and $10.00 for each additional key. A mailbox key replacement will cost $10.00. All costs will be billed to the students account and can be paid through the Business Office.


Can I stay over during college breaks? Can I come back early or stay late?

If you need to stay over during any college break, you must fill out the Break Request Form by the deadline.  The Break Request From can be accessed through the myYCP portal announcements or on the Residence Life webpage.  Late requests will not be accepted.    Permission is not guaranteed and will be confirmed by YCP email.  Students who are found on-campus and have not been approved to stay will be required to leave immediately and may face disciplinary action.


What if something in my room or apartment breaks?

If something in your room or apartment breaks, please contact Facility Services at or 717-815-1351.  The Facility Services Department is open Monday-Friday from 6 a.m. -6 p.m.  Their office is located in the Kings Mill Depot in room 123.  If you have a work order emergency after hours, please contact the Department of Campus Safety at 717-815-1314.  When reporting an issue, please be as detailed as possible.  Include your name, contact information, where you live on-campus, description of the problem, the location of the issue and if anyone else is affected.

*Emergencies are typically a broken pipe, flooded bathroom, no heat in extreme low temperatures etc... Light bulbs that are no longer working can typically wait to the next business day to be repaired.


What if the internet or cable isn’t working properly?

If your internet or cable isn’t working properly, please contact the Information Technology Office at, 717-815-1559 or log into the myYCP portal and click on the “IT Help Chat” icon.  When reporting an issue, please be as detailed as possible.  Include your name, contact information, description of the problem, the location of the issue and if anyone else is affected.  During the academic year, the IT Office is open Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m. - 10 p.m., Friday from 7:30 a.m. -6 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. and Sunday from 5 p.m. - 9 p.m.  Their office is located on the first floor of the Performing Arts Center building in room 181.


Who do I contact if the vending machines are not working properly?

The Office of Student Activities administers refunds for all on-campus vending machines and schedules repairs.


Who do I contact if a washer or dryer is not working properly?

If a washer or dryer is not working properly, please contact your Area Coordinator or Resident Director as soon as possible.  Your AC or RD will be able to assist you if you need a refund.  Also, when reporting an issue to your AC or RD, please be as specific as possible.  Include your name, which laundry room the issue is in, the washer/dryer # (located on the machine), and what exactly is wrong with the machine.


How can I register my video game system?

Please contact the IT help desk for more information at 717-815-1559.