Concerned About a Student?


The York College of Pennsylvania CARE team collaborates with various departments on campus to assist students with medical, social, and academic concerns. The team works to connect with students of concern to provide individualized resources and support for their personal and professional success.

Emergencies and Urgent Concern

If you feel threatened, or are concerned about someone's immediate health, safety, or welfare, call Campus Safety  (717.815.1314). They can work with you to assess the situation and determine if immediate action is necessary or if a referral to the Office of Residence Life (717.815.1281) is appropriate.

Troubling Behavior

If you are concerned about someone's behavior or you have information about a student that causes you concern, please call the Office of Student Affairs (717.815.1461) or the Office of Residence Life (717.815.1281). The Dean of Student Affairs or The Office of Residence Life can work with you to determine the next appropriate step(s) which may include a referral to Health Services (717.849.1615 option 3), Counseling Services (717.815.6437), the CARE team or other campus/community resources.

Students can be referred to the CARE team via professors, Campus Safety officers, resident assistants, dining staff, academic advisers, parents, etc. The concerns shared could be behavioral, medical, personal or academic. The CARE team can be e-mailed directly at

Please Click Here to Submit a Student Concern Form


Information provided on the form will be sent to the appropriate College official for further review and follow-up. This report is used to report non-emergency information. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Discriminatory conduct
  • Bias incidents
  • Bullying
  • General student (CARE) Concerns
  • Hazing
  • Community disruptions
  • Academic issues
  • Crime (please see Spartan Watch)
  • Troubled Domestic relationships

Privacy will be maintained throughout the investigation to the extent and consistent with the College's need to undertake a full and impartial investigation. All complaints will be promptly and thoroughly investigated. Your name will be submitted along with the information you provide.

You can expect all concerns to be taken seriously and an investigation into the reported concern will normally be within 48 hours of your submission.




Please note: It is not possible for CARE team members to maintain any information in complete confidentiality in accordance with Title IX Federal Law. All appropriate steps will be taken to maintain student and reporting person privacy when possible.


If you are a student and would like to CONFIDENTIALLY discuss a concern, please contact Counseling Services at 717.815.6437.  Discussing an issue with the Counseling Services is NOT considered an official report.


Related Link:

York College Student Handbook


What are signs that a student might need help?

  • A decline in academic performance
  • Dramatic changes in behavior
  • Weight gain or weight loss
  • Slurred speech or confused thinking
  • Sleeping in class
  • Poor personal hygiene
  • Repeated hangover or other signs of drug or alcohol use
  • Sadness, anxiety, irritability, depression, poor concentration
  • Over-dependance on you
  • Erratic emotional reactions
  • Overt references to suicide or harming others
  • Is the main focus of other student's complaints or concerns
  • Repeatedly requests deadline extensions or begins missing classes/meetings
  • Alludes to harrassment or assault
  • Repeatedly violates community norms of behavior
  • Disrupts class


What are my responsibilities regarding students who need help?

  • Guiding students to appropriate campus resources and notifying the Dean of Student Affairs or Office of Residence Life
  • Knowing when to turn to others for immediate help
  • Seeking consultation when necessary at the level that exceeds your expertise


How do I make a referral, and to whom?

Knowing where to refer to students is sometimes difficult, as academic, behavioral, and psychaitric problems often come together.  If someone's life is threatened, in which case you should dial 911, you can refer a student to Counseling or Academic Advising, who can then initiate other referrals, if necessary.  To make you referrals you should:

  • Tell students that "there are severals places you can go on campus for help, including the Dean of Student Affairs, Academic Advising, and Counseling Services."
  • Reassure the student that it is an act of strength to ask for help after all.  It's a lot easier to avoid facing problems.
  • Dismiss the myth that only "weak or crazy" people turn to others for help.  In fact many students use Counseling Services every year.  That doesn't include the students who go elsewhere on campus for help.
  • If you refer students to Counseling Services, remind them that counseling services are free and confidential: they are NOT part of the student's academic record.
  • Offer to help make the initial contact with the Dean of Student Affairs, Office of Residence Life, Academic Advising, or Counseling Services: you can make a phone call together to set up an appointment or walk the student to the appropriate office.

While you don't want to intrude into a student's personal life, it's okay to follow up later (and may make the student feel better) by saying something, "I hope you're doing better these days."


What steps should I take if I need to talk with a student who makes me uneasy but really isn't a "threat"?

  • Ask a colleague to stay close in case you need help.
  • Have a phone at hand.
  • Call for consultation if you need it.
  • Keep your door open or meet with a student in a public place.
  • Sit near the exit in case you need to leave quickly.
  • Trust your intuition.  If you begin to feel fearful, end the meeting.