Safe Social Networking
Are you an online social butterfly?
You can stay safe by following the tips below:
- Be careful about posting your current location or upcoming plans. There may be people in your network that you don't want to have that information.
- Don't post any identifying information on a social websites. This includes phone numbers and your dorm name and room number.
- Be wary of privacy settings on social websites...don't post personal or finanical information. You can't be to sure with whom your sharting information with.
- Don't accept requests or messages from people you don't know. They might be scam artists.
- Never post pictures of a sexual nature of yourself or someone else.
- Online information lives online forever. Be careful about what you post. Job recruiters often turn to the web and social media websites to screen job applicants. Some off-color post that you make today could have unforseable consequences in the future.
- Some people you may meet in social websites may not be who they say they are. Never meet face-to-face with someone you've met online.
- Never give out your password to anyone.