All Things Professional
At York College, we prepare students as professionals in whatever career they pursue. Under the direction of the Center for Professional Excellence (CPE), we offer valuable resources, tips, experience and research that will help students develop a concrete plan to attain academic growth and career success.
Tip of the Month
Active listening requires you to not only listen, but also to respond. Essential techniques include:
- Remain patient. A common breakdown in listening comes when the listener begins to formulate their response before the speaker is finished. Listen to the entire message before formulating your own response.
- Check accuracy. Ask questions to check the accuracy of the message as well as to check your own comprehension. When checking comprehension, paraphrase by stating in your own words what you understood the speaker to say.
- Listen to new ideas. You do not have to like an idea to listen to it. Avoid directly challenging people. Pay attention to the entire message before deciding whether you agree or disagree with the speaker. Be aware of your own biases.
- Detect emotions. In addition to interpreting and understanding the content, listen for the feelings and emotions that underlie the speaker’s message.
- Evaluate the speaker’s content, not the delivery. Remember to listen for the content behind a good delivery and a polished presentation.
10 Steps to Effective Listening
Want to Get Ahead? Stop Talking and Listen
Have You Mastered the Art of Listening?
Stay tuned for the Fall 2015 event schedule.
"Professionalism is how someone carries one’s self. It is their behaviors, dress, attitude, etc. "
In the News
Brian Williams Suspended For It, But Everybody Embellishes
The Williams debacle is a classic example of people using counterfeit credentials to demonstrate their relevancy and to spin their own personal narrative in order to stay in the limelight, said Matthew Randall, executive director of the Center for Professional Excellence at York College of Pennsylvania.
See more examples of the CPE in the news.