Required Documentation

Determining eligibility for an accommodation is the responsibility of the Director of Disability Support Services (DSS) in the Academic Services office (Campbell Hall, Room 200). This determination occurs after a student has been accepted for admission. Although some students choose to disclose disability information in their admissions essay, students should not submit disability documentation (i.e. psychological evaluations, physician letters, etc.) with their application for admission to the college. Rather, disability documentation should be submitted directly to the DSS Director as follows.

The type of documentation required varies depending on the disability.

In general, for all disabilities the report/letter must state a specific diagnosis of a disability, a list of symptoms  and how they impact the student ion the classroom, and should include recommendations for accommodations based on the findings in the report.

The content of  IEP and 504 plans from high school varies greatly. Generally, a high school plan is not considered valid documentation by itself unless it includes specific results from a psychological evaluation. The following supporting documentation should accompany a high school plan.

Documentation for students with learning disabilities, ADD/ADHD, Asperger Syndrome, and other cognitive challenges should:

  • Be dated within the past five years.
  • Include an individually administered intelligence test, such as the WAIS or WISC. For ADD/ADHD, the cognitive subtests of the Woodcock-Johnson are acceptable. Other tests, as determined by the evaluator, should also be included.
  • Include the names of all tests used, the actual results including subscale scores, and a summary for each test.
  • Identify and discuss specific cognitive strengths and weaknesses (i.e. memory, executive functioning, processing speed, etc.) and their impact on learning and academic achievement.
  • Clearly state the diagnosis and recommendations for academic accommodations.

Documentation for students with other disabilities or health conditions such as medical/physical, visual, hearing, and psychiatric should:

  • Include a diagnosis and resulting symptoms and functional limitations.
  • Include a statement of impact on learning and academic achievement and recommendations for accommodations.
  • Be dated within the past six months for acute or short-term issues.
  • Be dated within the past three years for chronic or long term issues.

All documentation is reviewed on an individual basis and for certain, more permanent, disabilities, older documentation may be acceptable. The documentation for each student is reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine validity and eligibility for services.

Please note that York College is not responsible to assess students in order to document a disability. Students who are eligible for accommodations in high school are encouraged to request and obtain an updated assessment prior to graduation from high school.

Presently, we have a fund in place to help offset the cost of assessments required to receive accommodations for those students who do not have health insurance coverage or other resources for payment. Please contact the Director of Disability Support Services for more information.