How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students who submit the required information described below, will be considered for financial aid from all York College, federal and/or state sources. The York College Financial Aid office encourages you to contact us with questions, or if you need additional information about your eligibility to receive financial aid. 

1.  Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

  • Incoming freshmen should apply by the end of February in the senior year of high school, but not before January
  • Transfer students should apply when applying for admission to the college.
  • Use the York College Title IV institutional code – 003399.
  • The FAFSA collects financial and other information used to determine the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) used by York College, and state and federal entities, to calculate your eligibility for financial aid.   

2.  What to expect after you apply

  • Within several days of submitting your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) sent to the email address you provided on the FAFSA.  
  • Review the SAR for accuracy and make any corrections by following the instructions included.   
  • Your FAFSA information will be sent directly to all the colleges that you included with the Title IV institutional code.
  • After filing, you can check the processing status of the FAFSA and make changes at or by calling 1-800-4FED-AID.

3.  Your York College Financial Aid Award 

  • Usually within 2-4 weeks of receiving the completed Student Aid Report, you will be sent your York College Financial Aid Award Letter.  
  • The letter includes your eligibility for York College Financial Aid, work study and state and federal aid programs, including the Federal Stafford (student) Loan.
  • Your award information can also be seen on the YCP Web under the Financial Aid Menu, along with the Federal Shopping Sheet. The Federal Shopping Sheet is a tool to assist you in comparing financial aid award information with that from other higher education institutions.

4. Special conditions, appeals and reconsideration of an award

  • Appeals for reconsideration of a York College Financial Aid award can be made based on special circumstances by providing additional information in writing to the York College Financial Aid Office.
  • Typical information considered for financial aid appeals and reconsideration include:
    Unusual expenses or circumstances that influence the ability to contribute to educational expenses
    Family financial situation has changed since submitting the FAFSA
  • Download and print the ‌York College Special Circumstances Worksheet

5.  Accepting the York College Financial Aid Award

  • Accepting Your Award‌ for accepting your award online.
  • Visit Once You're Accepted for additional information and resources for new students.
  • Your financial aid will be credited on your semester financial bill from the College (with the exception of your work-study award).

6.  Federal Direct (Student) Loan

  • The student’s eligibility for the Federal Direct Loan will be indicated on the York College Financial Aid Award Letter.
  • You will be given the option of either accepting or rejecting the student loan. You must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits per semester to be eligible for the Federal Direct Loan.  
  • Click here for more information about the Federal Stafford Loan.

7.  Federal PLUS (Parent) Loan

  • A parent may apply for Federal PLUS loan after the student has submitted their enrollment deposit to the Admissions Office and returned their financial aid acceptance documents. 
  • To apply, go to
  • Click here for more information about the Federal PLUS Loan.

8.  You must reapply for Financial Aid each year.

It is important to remember that financial aid is never automatically renewed. Returning students are required to meet renewal dates as established by the Financial Aid Office and outside agencies. Financial aid applicants are expected to apply for all sources of aid available to them, federal and state programs as well as aid through the college. Returning students must also be in good academic standing as defined by The Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.