A Note to Parents from Dominic DelliCarpini
As parents, the hopes and dreams we have for ourselves pale when compared to the hopes and dreams we have for our children.
We know that at York College. And as the father of four children, I know that as well.
We know that you want College to be transformative, that you want college to give your son or daughter a start in the world that will ignite their desire to learn, to succeed, to thrive, and to be happy.
So, why encourage your son or daughter to consider this program? Because
- It will make them part of a team of other motivated students
- It will encourage them to study what they love and love what they study—while also giving them some basic business principles that can help them succeed in the workplace
- It will help them see, from day one, the benefits of hard work
- It will help them learn not only from excellent professors, but also from community mentors and leaders, the real world applications of their work
- It will help them learn to take control of their present education in order to build a bright future
- It will give the opportunity to study abroad and to learn from other cultures here in the United States
- If they choose—and if they earn it—it will give them the opportunity to spend summers working with professors on real research or out in the community
And most of all:
- It will help them to learn how powerful the combination of innovative thinking and a strong work ethic can be.
That is what our patron, the highly successful businessman Donald Graham, calls “entrepreneurial thinking”—thinking that not only helps you start a career, but which helps you become a valuable member of any workplace.
We’re hoping to reverse engineer Mr. Graham’s formula for success, and use it to educate better.
So, whether your son or daughter becomes a Graham Scholar or not, we know what an investment of time and money College is.
At York College, we’ll make it worthwhile. You have the word of a fellow parent on that!