William H. Steel, Ph.D.
General Chemistry Coordinator
- Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Maryland, 2004
- B.A., Physics, Gettysburg College, 1995
- General Chemistry I and II
- Capstone Laboratory Experience
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- First-Year Chemistry Colloquium
- Solute partitioning in aqueous-organic liquid-liquid systems
- New and/or revised experiments in the General Chemistry curriculum
- Faculty Development Committee Summer Research Fellowship
- Block Grant Fellowship, Dept. of Chemistry, UMCP
- G. Forrest Woods Fellowship, Dept. of Chemistry, UMCP
- Honors with Distinction, Graduate Research Interaction, Day, UMCP
- Steel, W. H., Foresman, J. B., Burden, D. K., Lau, Y. Y., and Walker, R. A. “Solvation of Nitrophenol Isomers: Consequences for Solute Electronic Structure and Alkane/Water Partitioning”. J. Phys. Chem. B, 2009, 113 (3), 759-766.
- Beildeck, C. L.; Steel, W. H.; Walker, R. A.; Surface Effects on Solvation Across Liquid-
Liquid and Model Liquid-Liquid Interfaces, Faraday Discussions, 2005, 129, 69.
- Steel, W. H., Walker, R. A. “Measuring Dipolar Width Across Liquid/Liquid Interfaces Using Molecular Rulers”. Nature, 2003, 424, 296-298. (Highlighted in C&E News, July 21, 2003)
- Steel, W. H., Damkaci, F., Nolan, R., Walker, R. A. “Molecular Rulers: New Families of Molecules for Measuring Interfacial Widths”. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2002, 124, 4824-4831.
- Steel, W. H. “Thermodynamic study of solute partitioning: A second-semester chemistry experiment”. (Poster) Chemical Education Poster Session, 245th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 2013.
- Steel, W. H. “Linking Equilibrium to Kinetics in the General Chemistry Lab.” (Poster) Chemical Education Poster Session, 237th ACS National Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, March 2009.
- Capstone laboratory experience: The life cycle of a research project (Poster). 38th
Middle Atlantic Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Hershey, PA,
- Capstone laboratory experience: A “cradle to the page” project for seniors (Poster).
229th ACS National Meeting, San Diego, CA, March, 2005.
- Investigations of Solvent Polarity at Liquid Interfaces by SHG Spectroscopy Using Molecular
Rulers (Oral). York College Chemistry Society, Invited Speaker, April, 2005
- York College Faculty Senate President 2013-Present
- York College Faculty Senate Vice President 2011-2013
- York College Chair of Faculty Senate Academic Programs Committee 2008-2011