Cheryl Thompson, DNP, RN, ACNS-BC
Associate Professor of Nursing
Clinical Director of Nurse Managed Centers
Coordinator, NUR 400 Community Health Nursing
- BSN, Bloomsburg State College (1981)
- MSN, Allentown College of St. Francis de Sales (1989)
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University (2007)
- Registered Nurse
- Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist in Public/Community Health Nursing
- Nursing Concepts and Practice: Community Health Nursing
- Health Promotion and Clinical Prevention for Individuals and Populations (MS in Nursing)
- Student learning outcomes related to development of cultural competence
- Nurse managed center patient outcomes
- Finalist for Central Penn Parent Magazine HealthCare Heroes Award, 2013.
- Award for Innovations in Professional Nursing Education, 2009, American Association of Colleges of
Nursing, for York College of Pennsylvania nurse managed centers.
- Meeting baccalaureate public/community health nursing education competencies in nurse-managed wellness centers. Journal of Profession Nursing, 2013.
- Promoting health in low income communities: The Asthma Safe Kids Program delivered by an academic nurse managed center. Journal of Allergy and Asthma Educators, 2012.
- Using the Omaha System as a framework to demonstrate the value of nurse managed wellness center services for vulnerable populations. Journal of Community Health Nursing, 2012.
- Teaching critical thinking to nurses in a Ugandan hospital. Home Health Care Management and Practice, 2010.
- Poverty and spiritual life: Impact on health and nursing care in Uganda. Home Health Care Management and Practice, 2007.
- No passport required: Study abroad in the local community (poster presentation). Association of Community Health Nurse Educators/American Public Health Nursing Association Joint Meeting, San Antonio, TX, 2014.
- Best of both worlds: Nurse managed wellness centers provide meaningful community health clinical with service that improves outcomes for vulnerable patients. Poster presented at Association of Community Health Nurse Educators/American Public Health Nursing Association Joint Meeting, Raleigh, NC, 2013.
- Using the Omaha System to measure outcomes of wellness services in nurse managed wellness centers. The Power of Nursing: Using EBP and Research to Keep Patients Safe Annual Conference, York, PA, 2013.
- Collaborative partnerships to enhance sustainability of nurse managed wellness centers. National Nursing Centers Consortium Conference, Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- Pediatric neurosurgery in Uganda: Could it be more complicated? Penn State Hershey Neuroscience Institute Eighteenth Annual Neuroscience Conference, Hershey, PA 2011.
- York County Community Foundation Embracing Aging Grant for "Upright and Steady," an interdisciplinary collaborative to provide an evidence based fall prevention program in nurse manged centers
- WellSpan Collaborative Partnership Grant, for nurse managed center sustainability and research to document patient outcomes.
- York County Community Foundation Grant, for implementation of diabetes support group in nurse managed centers.