Recreation and Leisure Administration Certifications

Recreation majors are encouraged to take advantage of two available certifications.

Certified Park and Recreation Professional Certification

The Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification is available to all students who graduate from the Recreation and Leisure Administration major. According to the National Recreation and Park Association, the CPRP certification is one of the most sought-after certifications in the park and recreation profession.

According to Recreation Management magazine’s 2008 Salary Survey of more than 2000 individuals in the field, of those people who plan to seek new certifications, the most (40%) think they should become CPRPs.

Achieving your CPRP certification will provide you with:

  • recognition for your accomplishments
  • greater career opportunities with higher income possibilities
  • proof of your ability to meet or exceed national standards
  • a new level of commitment to the parks and recreation field

Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist Certification

Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) certification is available to Recreation and Leisure Administration majors who choose the Therapeutic Emphasis. According to the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC), the field of therapeutic recreation has also shown tremendous growth and development over the past two decades. Today, the United States Department of Labor projects that there are more than 27,000 recreational therapists in the United States. More than 12,000 of these professionals are professionally certified as CTRSs by NCTRC.

The CTRS certification is the:

  • most professional advanced credential for the field of therapeutic recreation
  • the industry standard that exemplifies each professional's dedication to quality standards and excellence in practice