Ilana Krug, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
- B.A., Brandeis University (1996)
- M.A., Rutgers University (1999)
- M.A., University of Toronto (2000)
- Ph.D., University of Toronto (2006)
- Western Civilization
- Ancient World
- Medieval Civilization
- Renaissance and Reformation
- The Black Death
- Fourteenth-century English social, economic, and military history
- Impact of war, war financing, corruption and natural disasters on the peasantry
- Complaint and "evils of the times" literature
- Medieval English military logistics
- Medieval Academy of America Frederic C. Lane Dissertation Grant, 2003
- White Hart Society James L. Gillespie Award, 2005
- "The Fisher Antiphonary: A Gilded Window onto the Strozzi and Late Fifteenth-Century Florentine Politics." Digital Philology, 2:1 (May 2013): 114-35.
- "Complaint Literature: The Voice of the People, or Literary Formulae?" Medieval Perspectives, 27 (2012): 125-35.
- Krug, Ilana. “Purveyance and Peasants at the Beginning of the Hundred Years War: Maddicott Reexamined,” in Don Kagay and Andrew Villalon, eds. The Hundred Years War (Part II): Different Vistas (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2008), 345-65.
- Krug, Ilana. “Wartime Corruption and Complaints of the English Peasantry,” in Niall Christie and Maya Yazigi, eds. Noble Ideals and Bloody Realities: Warfare in the Middle Ages (Leiden: E.J. Brill, 2006), 177-93.
- "'Arma virumque cano' and of the Ensuing Battle Injuries." Paper presented at the Twentieth International Medieval Congress at the University of Leeds. Leeds, UK. July 1-4, 2013.
- "The Politics of Military Medicine." Paper presented at the Forty-Eighth International Congress on Medieval Studies at the University of Western Michigan. Kalamazoo, MI. May 9-12, 2013.
- "Waxing Poetic: Voices of Complaint and the Financing of Edward III's Wars." Paper presented at the Forty-Seventh International Congress on Medieval Studies at the University of Western Michigan. Kalamazoo, MI. May 10-13, 2012.
- "Preserving Military Might: Late Medieval Battlefield Medicine." Paper presented at the Twenty-First Annual Meeting of the Texas Medieval Association (TEMA) at Baylor College. Waco, TX. Sept. 30-Oct. 1, 2011.
- "The Sweet Side of War: the Place of Honey in Military Provisioning." Paper presented at the Forty-Sixth International Congress on Medieval Studies at the University of Western Michigan. Kalamazoo, MI. May 12-15, 2011.