James Colonna, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music
Director, Instrumental Studies
- B.S. (Music Education), St. Vincent College (1995)
- M.M. (Conducting), University of North Texas (2000)
- D.M.A. (Conducting), Michigan State University (2007)
- Wind Symphony
- Orchestration & Arranging
- Instrumental Conducting
- Listening to Music
- Applied Trumpet Lessons
- Texas Band Masters Conference - Exhibited with Print Music Source publisher where his work "Dancing Day" was performed and added to the Texas UIL Required Music List.
- Composerscircle.com - Dr. Colonna was the featured composer on April 18, 2013 on a website that is a collection of new voices in composition that include David Dzubay, Don Freund, Clint Needham, Elliot Carter.
- Note Morphology and the Clean Ensemble - Dr. Colonna presented at the Utah Band Masters Association Meeting in association with the Utah Music Educators State Conference. This lecture presented an extended study on articulation, pitch and rhythm as it appears on the printed page in relation to how a conductor teaches basic notation to a school ensemble.
- College Band Directors National Conference - Dr. Colonna served as an adjudicator to seat the 2011 National Honors Band which is a national gathering of college band conductors, composers, historians and theorists.
- Director of Bands, Utah Valley University
- Interim Director of Concert Bands, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- Music Director and Conductor of Wind Ensemble, Indiana University/Purdue University-Fort Wayne
- Graduate Assistant in Wind Conducting, Michigan State University
- Music Director and Conductor of Wind Symphony, Laramie County Community College