Scholarships and Awards in Biological Sciences
Scholarship opportunities are available to students pursuing an academic career in Biology. Enthusiastic, motivated students are eligible for various awards.
Students majoring in Biology at York College have benefited from many scholarship programs, including these:
- Jack Kent Cook Foundation Scholarships are designed to encourage and support outstanding students from 7th grade through graduate school who have a breadth of interests, work hard, demonstrate a strong will to succeed, and have financial need.
- Pre-Medical Scholars Program: York College of Pennsylvania, York Hospital and the Penn State College of Medicine cooperatively offer this special early assurance of admissions program for exceptionally accomplished high school seniors who maintain high scholarly achievement in college and show a continuing commitment to medicine. The program allows selected participants to be assured admission to the Penn State College of Medicine upon graduation from York College, contingent upon the student's academic performance at York College and a satisfactory Medical College Admission Test score in the junior year.
Departmental Honors & Academic/Service Awards
The Department of Biological Sciences offers the following academic and service awards each year:
- The York Water Company Award is given to the sophomore biology major who has the highest grade point average in biology courses.
- Jeffrey Zeigler Memorial Award is presented to an official member of the Biology Club who has been active for at least one semester prior to being chosen and has shown dedication to and worked toward the betterment of the student club.
- Bruce B. Smith Seminar Award is given to the student presenting the best original Senior Thesis research project as determined by the biology faculty. This award is given in the fall.
- The Denoncourt Award for Excellence and Service in Biology is given to the graduating Biology major who exhibits outstanding academic ability in Biology and a sense of service to others.