Scholarships and Awards in Biological Sciences
Scholarship opportunities are available to students pursuing an academic career in Biology. Enthusiastic, motivated students are eligible for various awards.
Students majoring in Biology at York College have benefited from the Pre-Medical Scholars Program: York College of Pennsylvania, York Hospital and the Penn State College of Medicine cooperatively offer this special early assurance of admissions program for exceptionally accomplished high school seniors who maintain high scholarly achievement in college and show a continuing commitment to medicine. The program allows selected participants to be assured admission to the Penn State College of Medicine upon graduation from York College, contingent upon the student's academic performance at York College and a satisfactory Medical College Admission Test score in the junior year.
Departmental Honors & Academic/Service Awards
The Department of Biological Sciences offers the following academic and service awards each year:
- Departmental Recognition is given to those students who have shown outstanding academic achievements and service to the department.
- The York Water Company Award is given to the sophomore biology major who has the highest grade point average in biology courses.
- Jeffrey Zeigler Memorial Award is presented to an official member of the Biology Club who has been active for at least one semester prior to being chosen and has shown dedication to and worked toward the betterment of the student club.
- Bruce B. Smith Seminar Award is given to the student presenting the best original Senior Thesis research project as determined by the biology faculty. This award is given in the fall.
- The Denoncourt Award for Excellence and Service in Biology is given to the graduating Biology major who exhibits outstanding academic ability in Biology and a sense of service to others.
- The Carolyn F. Mathur Women in Science Award is presented to the graduating female Biology major who displayed academic excellence, perserverance, and potential during their career in the Department of Biology at York College of Pennsylvania.
- The Rod Waltermyer Lab Assistant Award is presented to the lab assistant who had the greatest impact through dedication and service to the Biology Program throughout their academic career.